Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Four birds, one dragon.......or maybe two.....

We took a drive through Mouteau Park the other day on our way to Rural King.  This little park that was a former landfill is mainly used for some soccer fields for kids.  But on the way in there is a large area that is off limits to people and they have let the grass grow long.  This is where we see Meadowlarks.
 We got really lucky and a pair of them were right by the road rather than in the tall grasses.  This is the closest I have ever seen one!
 It looked around for awhile, posing very nicely for me.

 Eventually it jumped into the tall grass behind it, but I was so happy to have seen it up close.
 Along the edge of the field of grass and also the soccer fields there is a wire fence and posts.  A number of birds love to use these posts and wire to sit on.  This is the resident Mockingbird that is always near the gate when we drive in :-)  He was glaring at us and moving from post to post.
 "This is my area....go away!"

 Another fence sitter that I often see here....the Kingbird.  This is not a great photo, but he had just caught a bug and is eating it.
 A little better pose.  I was having trouble getting the focus against the different backgrounds.
A back view shows off his white tail tip nicely.
 A female Barn Swallow is another fence sitter.  She was hanging out by the bathroom building and I suspected a nest somewhere in the rafters.
 Sure enough!  Up by the door to the men's room......hope they fly away before the soccer season starts.  There were four babes in the nest, and when I got out to take photos I was bombarded by several adults that didn't like me getting close.  One of the babes was a bit shy and kept ducking down, so you only see three here.
 Bunny in the grass with the Robins.
 This is a Halloween Pennant and I believe it is male.  This is the only park where I usually find these.  There is a small lake and they are usually around the edge of it somewhere.  I also saw several other kinds but didn't get good photos and they were the common ones I always see....the Eastern Pondhawk and the Blue Dasher.  Who comes up with these wonderful names????
....and.....
My other "dragon".  We nickname our cat, Mouse...."The Dragon".....because she is so evil and mean.  However, yesterday we had to take her to the vet to be groomed....she won't let us comb her long fur....and it was so full of mats that they said it was easier to just shave it all off!  Oh, my!  How can you be a "fire breathing dragon" when you are naked??????  Poor Mouse!  She was not pleased, but she will be a lot cooler and more comfortable this summer as it slowly grows back :-)

13 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE your Meadowlarks!! I have yet to get a decent shot of one of those ..... just saw my first one a year or so ago.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Great captures.Seeing a Meadowlark that close is pretty special.

Dorothy said...

Wonderful post, Mary! I happy to see the Meadowlark! If they are in this area, I never see them:-( That's a precious picture of the Bunny and Robins!! Poor Kitty-Cat! I thought you had bleached him when I first saw the picture;-) He's very humiliated, I'm sure.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...Poor kitty,but my Mandy may end up like that ..she has a massive clump on her backside she won't let me touch..grrrrr!!
I saw my first time every Meadowlark this spring and all I could see was from neck and chest up fro the tall grass...loved a seeing your as a ""whole bird"" : }
Those Mockingbirds are a hoot...!!
Those baby Barn Swallows are so darn cute Mary!!
Grace

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great bird pictures, Mary... But --oh poor Mouse... WELL--if that 'fire breathing dragon' is more comfy this summer, then I guess she'll be fine!!!!! ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Caroline Gill said...

Stuning Meadow Larks, Mary ... and poor Mouse! But perhaps you now have one contented cat!

wildaboutwales said...

Jees Mary poor Mouse, if I did that to Sylvester he would never look at me Again, but saying that he likes a bath and he loves being groomed.

Cicero Sings said...

Gotta love those meadowlarks ... just love their song!

Oh, poor, poor mouse ... a right embarrassment for her.

penny said...

What a wonderful selection of birds you have in your area, Mary. I would be thrilled to spot half of them here in south Florida.
Poor Mouse looks so unhappy with her new doo.

A Colorful World said...

Great post, Mary! I've never seen a meadowlark, and would love to see one! How delightful you got such great pictures! And that barn swallow! Well, that must have been delightful seeing her nest and those babies! Those are great shots of that beautiful dragonfly! And the other "dragon." :-) We had a cat once named "Jaws" for pretty much the same reason. :-)

Roy said...

The Meadowlark looks such an unusual bird Mary.
It looks like a mix of several species put together.

Rose said...

Love the shots of the meadowlark! And the other bird shots as well, but love the meadowlarks best because I cannot even come close to them at the strip pits here.

Do they sedate Mouse in order to shave her?

Mary said...

Thanks everyone...Meadowlarks are really pretty with that yellow at the neck. I've been lucky to see several close this year.

Rose: Yes, Mouse has to be sedated when they do anything to her. She is so mean when anyone handles her. I think she is enjoying her shave at the moment....much cooler.