Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Turkey in the yard....

Mike opened the door to go get the paper this morning and there was a turkey with its chick in the driveway eating birdseed!  In the 30+ years we have lived here, this is the first turkey we have had in our yard.
As soon as Mike saw them, he closed the door, but that spooked them enough, that they headed out across the yard.
They were behind our glider part of the time making it hard to take photos.....none of these are very good, but I had to be quick.
 Walking down the road past the neighbor's house.
 Such a cute little chick!  
I wonder if they are the ones that have been knocking over my tray feeder each evening.
 "Wait up, Mom!"
Getting ready to head into the trees.  There is a soy bean field the other side of those trees.
Later in the day, Mike spooked a deer that was crossing the back yard.  I bet the drought is what is bringing all of these critters so close to the house.

11 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how neat... Not sure I've ever seen a baby turkey before --except in photos. He is so cute... Glad you saw them and got some photos..

We are getting ready to have our house painted --so they came today to power-wash the house. When they were taking down some of our shutters, guess what flew out???? BATS....

Oh the joys of living in the woods.
Hugs,
Betsy

Dorothy said...

I think you got some great shots of the turkey and her chick! They move away so quickly, it's hard to get a picture!

Kelly said...

Wow! How wonderful. I would love to see a turkey in my yard!! :-)

ruma said...

Hello, Mary.

  Your exquisite work leads my impression.
  The passion for the art.  It is universal.

  The prayer for all peace.

Have a good day. from Japan, ruma ❀

Janice K said...

They are always a "big" surprise when I see them in my yard, but I have never seen a baby....How cute.

Rose said...

At least they come to your yard! I bet with this heat and things drying up that they will come more often.

Naquillity said...

oh Mary that chick is adorable. so glad you were able to capture this moment of mother/ chic and share it with us. maybe next time you'll capture the deer, ;) hope all is well. have a great night~

A Colorful World said...

How exciting! I would love to see a baby turkey! Great pictures!

wildaboutwales said...

should of held on to it for thanksgiving the bronze would make a good meal.

abb said...

Nice! We've lived in our home for 30 years as well. We saw our first turkey after we'd lived here probably 15 - 20 years. Each year the population increases and at its highest, I could count 30 - 40 as they walked across our yard. They're neat to watch, but have no doubt that their poops are just as big and bad as Canada goose poops!
Interesting to see if your population increases.

Becky said...

For some reason I haven't seen many turkeys this Spring/Summer. Don't know where they all went. We do have bunnies though. Haven't seen them in years. Must be the Coyotes have moved on.