I've had several distractions in the past few weeks....watching the French Open tennis, working every evening at our church's VBS this past week, and doing a lot of sewing on my nature quilt. I am really focused on working on these blocks right now, so I thought I would show what I am working on, even though it should be in my quilt blog :-)
I'm making a total of 12 nature blocks with mostly birds, but a few flowers and animals for the main applique. I recently picked out some fabrics for sashing around the blocks and have been experimenting with it on the four that are almost finished.
I am really enjoying doing these! These four blocks are "in progress". Very little stitching done on them yet.
I just appliqued the Blue Jay over the weekend and actually have a bit of "tweeking" to do on it yet.
The Cardinal has nothing on the block yet except the branch that he is sitting on.
The Chickadee block is done. I am enjoying looking up wildflowers and trying to embroider them around the birds. This one got a Sunflower, some Queen Anne's Lace, and some Black-eyed Susans. The rest is just imagination at work :-)
The Goldfinch got a few favorite foods....the Thistle, the Sunflower, and some Coneflowers, as well as the wheat/grass he is sitting on.
This started out as a Pansy block, but I added the Hummingbird. Bluebells below. This one isn't finished yet, but close.
My needle is attached to some pinkish Clover blossoms that I am working on. Pine, Violets, so far on the Squirrel block. He needs some acorns, but I haven't figure them out yet.
The Red-bellied Woodpecker got some fall leaves, some Asters and some Lilies.
This is what is keeping me busy at the moment. I have four more blocks to do....a raccoon, a Lily, and an Iris, and a Carolina Wren....hopefully! Haven't managed to draw a cute wren yet.
*********
Maybe I will get some real birds and animals photos soon :-)
14 comments:
Mary, these are wonderful...and I have not clicked to enlarge yet. I am down in my basement sewing...heading up in just a minute after I iron a seam. Can't wait to see them on my big laptop!
these blocks are GREAT... i can tell you've been sewing for a long time and know what you're doing. you've brought this quilt to life. it's beautiful.
i don't know how to sew really good but when something like this catches my eye i usually give it a try. during my absence i've taken some classes. one of them happened to be pictorial quilting 101 at Craftsy by Wendy Butler Berns. i have started a quilt and had to stop sewing on it til i figured out why the thread bunched up underneath the piece. now it isn't bunching but isn't zigzaging like it was earlier. i'll figure it out and finish it one day. i fashioned it after one of my photographs. maybe i'll take a picture of it and share it one day.
keep up the great work. can't wait to see the finished quilt. have a great day~
You are a very talented lady.i admire all the work that goes into the making of these.
Beautiful work Mary.
Mary, that is priceless! Be sure to post the finished quilt. I love all the details to go along with your appliqued birds, etc.
I started a couple of quilts last fall before my daughter became ill. I have one that has the backing on it and just waiting for me to do the final quilting with my embroidry machine. One of these days I need to get back at it. I just keep looking at it. I guess it is at this point I know that no matter how nice it looks, I can really mess it up if I don't find or design motifs that are right for it. I've had too many things distract me.
Those are so beautiful!! You're really talented.
I'd love to have a beautiful quilt like that on my bed.
I have some quilt blocks that were my Grandmother's. I'd always hoped to finish them someday...but, I don't have the close-up vision anymore since my cataract surgery.
Thanks for sharing.
Barb
This is THE MOST AMAZING QUILT I have ever seen!!!
You are sooooo talented!
Rose: thanks! We already email about this :-)
Naquility: Thanks! Your quilt sounds great...stick with it! I would like to try some landscape quilting some time. If you are talking about free motion quilting, it takes work and practice and a good machine :-) I'm no good at it.
Ruth: Thanks....it's relaxing doing the hand work.
Roy: Thanks...I can't draw or paint, so this is my art outlet.
Janice: I know what you mean! Sometimes I'm afraid to mess up what I already have by adding something new. I'm terrible when it gets to the actual quilting.
The Moose: Thanks for dropping by! I don't know where you live, but some places have people who will complete a quilt for you or help with what you can't see to do. Hope you get it done!
Kerri: Thanks! Birds are hard work, but I'm enjoying the challenge.
You are doing a marvelous job Mary. I love each and every one. Don't know which is my favorite either.I'll be anxious to see the end result. I envy your talent.
Hot here today :~(
I saw a goldfinch this morning. Not really startling news, as I almost always see at least one.
For the acorns, what about some sort of a basketweave stitch for the cap? I first thought of french knots, but that would not work too well...
Mary, I don't know how you find enough hours in the day! I just adore this quilting work. Each animal and flower is so exquisite ... and I much look forward to the raccoon's appearance!
Becky: Thanks! I like projects that let my creative juices flow, so this has been fun.
Judy: Good idea about the basketweave stitch. These things are pretty small, so I will have to see.
Caroline: The raccoon may not be that great. I bought a stripe fabric today that I hope will be his tail :-)
Oh look at you. Love the crazy quilt squares. My friend did a wall hanging with embroidered crazy quilt squares ... such work but such a work of ART. Great job!
Thanks everyone! Hopefully in a few more months, this will be done :-) I keep thinking about making more blocks since I am enjoying it so much.
Post a Comment