Saturday, March 17, 2012

New birds and flowers.....

We went to Catalina State Park today looking for wildflowers.
But my biggest thrill was seeing this Vermillion Flycatcher!  Isn't it gorgeous??

 It was high up on a tree just sitting there letting me take photos.  My favorite kind of bird :-)
My flower photos are so-so.  I think the intense sunlight was giving me some trouble.
 It's late and I am not going to take time to identify all of these right now.  My sister kept telling me names, but they don't stick in my memory very well!
 Thistle....I know that one!

 The yellow and white are poppies.


 The orange is Globe Mallow
 The pink is Penstimon (hope I spelled that right)
 Saw a pair of lizards

Nest?
 Red Admiral butterfly
A blue one that I didn't get a good photo of.  Don't have my butterfly book with me either.
 My other new bird....a Spotted Towhee.  Similar to the Eastern Towhee I see back home except for the spotted wings.
Enough for tonight.  I'm already behind on stuff I've seen.

9 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

WOW! That Vermillion Flycatcher posed for you so well. It is exciting to see new birds and a thrill when they cooperate.

Janice K said...

Both of those birds are so beautiful. I'd sure love to see them. And it is so great to be seeing wildflowers once again. It is so nice out right now....It will really hard if it decides to get cold again.

Shelley said...

That flycatcher is a gorgeous bird! And how exciting to see a Towhee! I've always wanted to see one.

Judy said...

You are sure having fun with the new birds!! One thing I have found helps with the bright sun and the flowers - stand so you cast shade over the blossoms you are trying to capture. Deepens the colours!

George said...

It looks as if you had a very successful outing. I like all your photos, but that Vermillion Flycatcher is really something.

Rose said...

Oh, wow, worth going to see that Vermillion Flycatcher...sure is a beautiful bird. And loving all your flowers.

A Colorful World said...

Loved the Vermillion Flycatcher and the Spotted Towhee! Wonderful shots! And the wildflowers are great too...I need to get out to see some, as we haven't done that yet this spring!

Becky said...

Oh I do love all the flowers. It makes me want the real Spring just that much more. The Towhee is so pretty. I rarely see the Eastern one here.

Kathie Brown said...

What a busy and beautiful trip you had!