Saturday, September 24, 2011

Painted Lady......

I just love Painted Lady butterflies!
They are so beautiful and they love the zinnias which made a great backdrop for them.
A side view....right in the center of the flower.
I was hoping to see an American Painted Lady, also.  Instead of the 4 small "eyes" on the hindwings, it has 2 large ones.  I've only seen one once before.
Same butterfly, same flower :-)
When we first saw it, it was on the ground sunning itself maybe?
It likes the other flowers, too.

9 comments:

Dorothy said...

I love these, too! You got some terrific shots, Mary!!

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...lovely,lovely lovely..
Isn't the Creator amazing!!
Grace

Roy said...

These are beautiful images Mary and superbly photographed.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The Zinnias make a perfect backdrop.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary
long time no look. but I am back in my beautiful Wales. done lots of photography and done things I never had the time to do before I retired.Will not talk about Egypt not happy at the way the muslims treat us Christians,
but thats the way it is .
list of my blogs are on myegypt.co.uk lots of steaming things for the men folk on there too. now autumn is here I will be spending more time at home lots to put on my blogs,

Patrinas Pencil said...

Thanks for letting me know what their name is. I had some earlier in July and Aug. But no more until just yesterday. I had the "American painted Lady" earlier, I guess, as they had the 2 big eyes. I called them a 'dog face' - because of the eyes :)yesterdays was the 4 small eyes. maybe I'll get to posting my 'American' on my photoblog. What is the difference between the blue and the brown eyes on the American? Do you know? I had both versions.

Loved these shots. thanks for sharing them

Patrina <")>><

Leedra said...

I always love the Painted Ladies. Love your first 2 photos.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by and the nice comments. Glad to see you back, Tony and will check your blogs. Hello Patrina and Leedra! I have no idea about the blue and brown eyes on the American. Didn't see anything in the butterfly book about it.

Rose said...

Boy, I have really missed out on butterflies this year...I have not seen a single Painted Lady.