Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Look over there"........

The last pit we stopped at had so much activity going on that I had trouble keeping up with the photos.
This frog was the last thing I saw, but it was my favorite.  He was sure catching the light making him look silver.
We stopped at this pit because there are always goldfinches and sometimes other birds bathing there.  Sure enough........here comes one now!
This pit is very shallow and there is an area where you can launch a kayak or small boat.  This is where they like to take their bath.
"Splish, splash, I was taking a bath......"
There are some nice willow trees nearby where they sit to dry off.
While watching for the goldfinches, I spotted a Viceroy butterfly in the grasses nearby.
Got a couple of shots and then I hear Mike say.....
....."there's a diving duck out there".  Sure enough....one Grebe.
Going down!
A Catbird joined the Goldfinches for a bath. 
Then it flew over to a little tree right beside me and started "mewing".  They are so funny sounding!  We saw several Catbirds in other places, too.  There is a little grove of pear trees, where they were hanging out with the Mockingbird and Cardinals, and I hope eventually some Waxwings.  I'll be going back as the pears get riper.  These are very small ornamental pears and the birds love to eat them.
A "mystery" bird showed up at the bath.....very plain and brownish gray.  Maybe a female Indigo bunting?
I just happen to click as it flew away!  So graceful looking!
Then as we drove around to the other side of this pit, a flock of ducks flew in.
I don't know what kind they are....my photos aren't very clear but they didn't look like Mallards to me.  They stayed on the far side in the heavy shade.
While watching them, Mike spotted the frog.........so we are back where I started!  A very busy pit!

9 comments:

Sue B. said...

You take such wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing. I feel like I've gone on a nature hike when I haven't time to leave the house.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, We are back after taking a few weeks off from Blogging. Glad to be back.

You hit the jackpot for sure with these pictures.... Love seeing the little birdies take baths!!!! CUTE!!!!

Yes---it's hard to identify those plain brown birds... So many of the females look like that. Great picture though.

Have a wonderful week.
Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

Cat birds are a favourite of my. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

A Colorful World said...

Interest at every turn! Loved all the shots of so many different birds, and the frog too!

George said...

You certainly had good 'hunting' at this pit. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures with us.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Looks like a fun outing,and you have great picture to remember it.

Roy said...

Great shot of the frog Mary and you were kept busy.

Rose said...

Ribbit, ribbit! great picture of the frog...love the rest of them, too.

Becky said...

Another wonderful post Mary. You certainly do have the best places to visit!
B.