Friday, September 30, 2011

More odds and ends, this and that, whatever......

I had some more encounters with the little Eastern Tailed Blue butterflies at Mouteau Park.
They are just so pretty and on the pink flowers (Smartweed?) even more so.
Sometimes they don't pick a nice background.....this one was checking out a cigarette butt left on the ground.  Yuck!  "Beauty and the Beast?"
One more pretty shot to rid the mind of cigarette remains.
I think this is an Eastern Wood Pewee.  It's one of "those bug catching birds" anyway.
Coming home the other night we passed a couple yards with deer in them.  Mother and fawn.
"Mo-oo-oo-o-m........someone is watching us!!"
"Don't just stand there like a deer caught in the lights...move!"
"Can't--move--must--stare."
Saw this cute little bug in my backyard.  No idea what it is!  It is on one of the "Touch-me-not" seed pods.  Hope he doesn't pop it, or he will take a high flying ride!  Better known as Jewelweed, my kids and I used to love to touch the pods and watch them explode at the lightest touch.  Very effective seed distribution system.
A closer look at the bug.  Anyone know what it is?
More yellow flowers just because I like them :-)
White flowers complete with bug.

7 comments:

Roy said...

Lovely shots of the Deer Mary, what a privilege to see them.

George said...

That's a very beautiful butterfly that you captured. I also like your pictures (and captions) of the deer.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That little Butterfly is just so adorable.

Rose said...

I love your captures of the little butterflies...and I think that first bug is a baby stinkbug...Latin name unknown.

Becky said...

Very interesting post. Those blue butterflies are so cute. The deer and very sleek. Gorgeous pictures Mary!
B.

wildaboutwales said...

its a juvenile shield bug
its next phase is the shield,pentomedia family that has 7000 species,

Judy said...

I love the deer photos! I saw a doe and fawn this morning, but they were much too far away for photos! And the dogs would have scared them, had I been any closer.
The yellow flowers look like Jerusalem artichoke, a member of the sunflower family. Are they 6 to 8 feet tall? And blooming when so many other yellow flowers have stopped? That is how I tell.