Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tohono Chul Park....

Tuesday was Mike's birthday, so we sent him off to a spring training baseball game between the Dodgers and the Rockies while my sister and I wandered around Tohono Chul Park. This is a beautiful park full of different types of vegetation and lots of flowers.Finally got to see a Cactus Wren this year. Usually I see them in her backyard, but this year I had not seen any. We saw two here up on the cactus giving their funny sounding call. Look at his feet and the cactus spines....what an uncomfortable place to have to perch.
I kept trying to get around this one. They are so high up it is hard to get detailed shots, as you can see from the angles.

Singing his song.

I won't bother with a lot of words trying to describe what all was there.

Acacia tree











Penstamon....I love their color

Someone else loves them, too....Anna's I think.

A nest....wonder who
Monday's sunset
Time for bed! Wonder what we'll do tomorrow?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos as usual! Just not your usual subjects. ;) I wonder what kind of bird makes that nest. It's very interesting looking.

Anonymous said...

Great new header Mary, what a super bird to use. Lovely flower garden as well.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Can you imagine how many insectsI could find there Mary? :) What a wonderful place.

Say Happy Birthday to Mike for me please. I hope he had a WONDERFUL day!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

AS I was scrolling through this post I could almost hear the constant clicking of the shutter button.:) I think I would almost wear my camera out in a place like this.
Blessings,Ruth

Don Wood said...

Say happy Birthday to Mike. Looks like you had a fantastic day. That wren looks OK glad I dont have to stand on there with bear feet to whoo my wife.

Dorothy said...

Mary, You have out done yourself this time!! All are wonderful pictures! Interesting that the bird lands right on the stickers. Those flowers are gorgeous!!! Have fun!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Happy Birthday to Mike!!!! I think I would have opted to go to that baseball game. My Daddy used to take me to baseball games when I was a little girl and I love baseball.

BUT---your visit to see the birds and flowers had to have been fabulous also. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a fabulous day.

Hugs,
Betsy

Jenny said...

Great new header. How appropriate to finally get a photo of him on his namesake plant! (-:

Rose said...

Those sunset photos are spectacular!

Kathie Brown said...

Beautiful photo essay Mary!