Monday, March 15, 2010

Perspective....

This post is late because I spent most of yesterday getting to and going inside the walls of a men's prison. Mike served on a Kairos team all weekend at a maximum security prison, and I went to the closing ceremony for the prisoners. Their testimonies were very moving and interesting. Let me tell you....after even a few hours behind walls, I am thankful that I don't live there. I wish I could have taken photos of the rolls of barbed wire, the bleak surroundings, the faces of the men....but that is one of the freedoms you lose in a prison. I went in with nothing but an ID card to get me back out. These few nature photos below are pretty poor and not really worth posting, but after being in a prison for even a very short time, I'm thankful to be able to take even poor photos. I'm thankful to be able to see the sky each day, breathe fresh air, hear the birds sing, see the animals, to use the Internet, to have a camera and take photos.





An opossum came to help clean up the seed mess the other night along with a skunk later on. I don't like them, but the help is appreciated as long as they don't empty any feeders.

12 comments:

CountryDreaming said...

The mood of the first three Canada Goose photos seems to sum up your story well ... standing on the imprisoning banks of a gloomy day, then embarking to the peaceful moody freedom of sailing away, yet with remaining memories now laden with appreciation.

Tony nile life said...

Problem is with most convicts they do not or did not appreciate what they had, if they did they would not be where they are. I have done mission (pastoral)work with prisoners in Kenya on the Mombasa elephant sanctuary. the convicts have no bars no wire fences to keep them in only the animals have. most of the lifers or killers (some poachers) run away within the first few weeks knowing if caught they will be shot on sight. the ones that remain are the ones who have been convicted of stealing mostly for food to feed the family, they stay because they love the once abused animal ie been shot and maimed by a poacher, one said, we stay because we get fed and are free the animals are not, not even in the wild. most of these convicts go on to be warders in the national parks to protect the animals from poachers,

Dorothy said...

Mary, I'm sure that experience made quite a lasting impression on you! I think if children of a certain age could tour those prisons, they might think twice before they commit a crime when they grow up.
Your pictures are always good!! Cute little Possum.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I can only imagine how desolate it must be behind bars,The Geese are looking good.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I was involved once with Prison Ministry... It was a great ministry--but emotionally hard at times. We try to change lives --but only God can do that....

We have skunks around ---and for sure, we don't want to make them mad. That is a good picture of the possum.

Hugs,
Betsy

Jenn Jilks said...

I love your photos, but mostly your attitude. I teach a creative writing class in our local minimum security prison. It is rewarding.
I look for the good in them, in the present moment, while we do our writing. I hope I make a difference.

Mary said...

CountryDreaming: Thanks! Very intuitive interpretation!

Tony: That is interesting about the poachers and your experiences with them. I doubt there is any simple explanation of why someone becomes a criminal.

Dorothy: I had that same thought when I was there.

Ruth: Gives freedom a lot of meaning, once you've lost it.

Betsy: Amen! God can do what we can't.

Jenn: Great! That must be really interesting teaching them. I'm sure your classes will make a difference in their lives.

Becky said...

What an experience that must have been Mary. It does let one appreciate the wonders we do have.I'm sure Mike was glad to have you with him.
Your pictures are far from poor either, and I have to shutter at the thought of those night critters. We have smelled skunk but haven't seen any around here yet.
B.

George said...

I felt very much the same way each time I got back to the U.S. from China. Such an experience really helps a person to focus on the important things in life. I think you got some good pictures. I especially like the picture of the opossum.

DeniseinVA said...

I'm sure it was quite an experience to go to the prison Mary and a great feeling to get out of there and truly appreciate the fresh air without bars. My Dad showed us the cells in his police station once when I was a child. (They were empty at the time obviously). He asked my sister and I if we would like to see what it was like to have to stay there, and we said yes. When he shut that big old wooden door and turned off the lights, we were glad to get out of there too!

Tea with Tiffany said...

I'm a bird watcher too and love taking pics. :)

Garden Lily said...

I played the piano for a short while in a (maximum security) prison ministry. We have much to be thankful for, that is for sure.

What a great possum photo. I've never seen one in "real life".