Monday, March 8, 2010

Looking at birds, looking at trees....

Our trip to Wesselman Woods last week, also involved watching birds in their nice viewing area. We didn't see any birds this day that we don't see at home, but it is a very pleasant place to stand or sit and watch for an hour before hiking the trails.
All the birds have bands. Wesselman has a banding program once a year.
Many of the birds liked this feeder.


The Red-bellied waiting his turn.

A Grackle by the water feature.
There are also as many squirrels as I have at home!
One of the injured owls that they are caring for at the nature center.

This beautiful Barn Owl has been there since 2003. It has a very badly dislocated wing that the vet can't fix.

A squirrel in a more natural setting along the trail we walked. Although it didn't seem to mind our presence as it sat grooming itself.
There were several sap buckets hanging on trees because they were getting ready for a syrup making demonstration the next day as well as serving pancakes to earn money for the nature center.
I have a fascination with holes in trees. I always wonder if something lives in the hole and hope that I will see eyes peering out at me.....never happens :-)
Here are a bunch of the tree holes I saw that day.

Big.....

......small......
......the woodpeckers are busy.....

"doughnut hole".
Tree bumps
bumpy bark
Fungi
Nothing terribly exciting, but a nice day of walking and enjoying the nicer weather and seeing what was there.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous set of birds images Mary and trees are always interesting.

Gill - That British Woman said...

great photos, we have some big holes in our trees as well.

Gill in Canada

Kingsdowner said...

Some good shots in the clear air - I agree with your comments about trees and their holes..... you never know what may be inside!

Rose said...

That looks like a nice place to visit! If nothing happens in the next short while, we are taking off for a day trip. Wish me luck in seeing something interesting.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Thanks for allowing me to tag along via the blog.THis was most interesting.I like how you see the unique things,like holes and bumps.This sounds like me,always looking for something 'different'.
Blessings,Ruth

Renee said...

I ♥ metal syrup buckets!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Looks like a lovely place to visit. How wonderful that the owl is being kept safe - poor old bird. They are so beautiful. A x

Jenny said...

Looks like you had a great day out Mary. I love your Nuthatch photo. Lovely pose and a nice glint in the eye. I'm the same with holes in trees! (-:

abb said...

Any signs of Spring yet?

George said...

Thanks for sharing your visit with us. Although your bird pictures were as good as ever, I also enjoyed your pictures of the 'holely' trees.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a neat place to visit, Mary.... AND--when the weather is nicer like it was this weekend, that makes a trip and a walk much more pleasant... What a neat place for the birds---and yes, even the squirrels.

Love those trees also!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Fun shots of your birds. The grackles and robins just showed up this week.