We went to Wesselman Woods to watch birds and walk some trails yesterday and I learned something new about turtles!
We spotted this turtle at the edge of the pond and I had no idea why its plates looked like this.
So I emailed Tom, at the Ohio Nature Blog who always knows everything about turtles.
Tom's answer: "Many water turtles shed a very thin outer coating of their shells each year. It helps them get rid of parasites and any algae build up on them. It's like a snake shedding its skin.The little pieces slough off- they are made of keratin, the same thing that our fingernails are made of."
Maybe the rest of you already knew that, but I didn't! Thanks, Tom!
13 comments:
Wonderful shots of the Turtles, Mary! I think he is smiling because it's almost springtime!
Fascinating photo essay. I didn't know that about turtles! I don't really know much about turtles, come to think of it! That's great information to share and today I'm a little bit smarter because of your efforts. Thanks! ~karen
Well, I guess I learned something new today.Thanks.
Blessings,Ruth
That was an interesting tidbit about turtles as were your pictures.
I did learn something today, Mary. I had no idea that turtles shed their top layers. Very interesting. You got some great pictures of the turtles.
Hugs,
Betsy
Mary, I didn't know that either. Of course I never see turtles up here, except little fellas in tanks. What I learned recently while in Florida is that Mama alligators keep their babies in their mouth for three months or so.
Your 'Sliders' look like our Painted Turtles. I had no idea they shed their plates - how cool is that? Thanks for sharing and great photos!
Add me to the list who didn't know that about the turtles. Thanks for inquiring and sharing! Excellent photos of all the turtles, Mary. Looks like it was a gorgeous day to be out. It was near 50 degrees here today, so I imagine it was nicer in your area.
Wonderful shots, Mary. and I did not know that turtles did that.
I never knew that but when I called my wife to show her she already knew. Looks like you had a good day Mary. I may venture out later ,it looks bright and sunny but I bet its cold outside so I need to pluck up the courage. XXX Don
Thank you everyone! I'm glad that I asked Tom about it since I'm not the only one who didn't know.
Renee: The only one I called a Slider is the one that is crawling onto the log with the red marks on its head. The others are obviously another type and may be Painted Turtles. I don't know my turtle types.
Mary: Neat turtle photos, nicely shown.
Post a Comment