Sometimes I actually get some bird photos out in the wild instead of at my feeders :-)
While watching turtles.....this Belted Kingfisher let out its noisy call and flew up to this branch.
I got a couple of shots of him before he flew across the creek and disappeared. The color seems so gray, but that is how it looked.
In the meadow I scared this little sparrow up onto this little tree.....Song Sparrow, I believe.
A side view.
This Robin walked down the path in front of me and led me unto the bridge....then it flew away down the length of the bridge.
I saw several White Throated Sparrows. Nice to see them in the wild instead of under my feeder!
This one was hiding.
I paid little attention to this pair of ducks that landed very far down the creek and then got home and looked on the computer closer and found out they were Wood Ducks...something I hardly ever see! Darn.....would have taken more photos and tried to get closer, if I had realized. Sigh.
I had no idea what this bird was, so I emailed it to a "panel of experts".....Eve, Bruce and Jenny....who all immediately wrote back that it was a Yellow Rumped Warbler! I could see touches of yellow at the neck, but that didn't mean a thing to me. I just don't know my warblers at all. It was sitting up on that branch preening itself. Thanks, blogger friends! How would I learn anything without your help?
I can't imagine how they figured it out from these photos, but Eve and Bruce both see them regularly...which helps! Pretty bad, when I ask help from overseas, but Jenny is always good at identifying American birds for me.
(We are having a slight computer problem on our main computer, and I am getting ready to head to Arizona on Tuesday, so I don't know when I will get caught up on all of your blogs.....but I will! I will probably post while I am gone.)
13 comments:
Lovely pix, Mary. Those turtles on your header are amazing...
Wow great shots of the Kingfisher Mary, thats a different one. Another good fined was the YR Warbler.
Great wild birds Mary! I saw a Kingfisher just the other day.
Have a great time in Arizona.This should yield some birds that are not regulars.
Blessings,Ruth
I love the Kingfisher family. We have some very colorful ones here but I never seem to get the chance to take pictures of them.
Oh, I would be so happy if I could capture a kingfisher...I see them occasionally but they are always too far away for a picture.
I think you do a wonderful job of capturing birds in the wild with your camera. Hopefully you'll get another chance to photograph Wood Ducks.
Have a safe trip.
Mary: Love the kingfisher, I see them at the lake but they never land for a picture.
Even i (a rookie birder) recognized your Yellow-rumped Warbler... He's the one I showed at my feeders recently. AND---he was back this morning.
Great pictures... Have fun in Arizona.. Fun trip??? Work Trip????
Hugs,
Betsy
Those Kingfisher shots are great Mary! I remember when I've been over in the past, that your Kingfisher is sooooo skittish! Hope you're comp problems are over. Have a nice trip down south.
The Kingfisher is certainly a beauty. I've not seen one of those before, nor the warbler.
Enjoy your time in the desert. Don't forget to use sunscreen! =)
Super shots of the Kingfisher Mary. They are very spooky and difficult to photograph!
You did a great job capturing all the other birds too. It's been a lean winter here for anything new or different. Even the old "regulars" didn't show up.
Have a wonderful trip and get back safe.
Enjoy that warm/dry weather.
Becky
Great photos of the Belted Kingfisher. They are notoriously hard to photograph, screaming and flying away at the slightest sound! Love your little warbler shots too!
Post a Comment