Saturday, March 27, 2010

Aqua Caliente Park....

I remembered going to Aqua Caliente Park last year and wanted to go back. I know these duck photos are nothing new....same ducks I was trying to get good shots of back home earlier this month! However, the water gives these beautiful colors and reflections and the ducks are sort of tame and easy to photograph :-) There is also a nice trail to hike through a cactus area and we see birds and other stuff there....if we get lucky.I certainly don't get close-ups like this at home! Ring-necked Duck.
I just loved the water....one minute blue and the next green and full of reflections.

The water on this one was so cool.

Mrs. Ring necked.

For me, to get to see them this close and see all the details was wonderful.
A pair of Wigeons.

Coming at me.

His colors look different when the light hits him different. I love his feathers....such a beautiful mix of patterns.
" Who's that Coot following us?"
I know....just a white duck...but it was a very clean and pretty white duck.

"One of these things is not like the others....."
I liked the way the turtles made a circle with their reflection :-)

I like this shot for the reflection of the grasses.....
.....same pair from a different spot.
Look at the nails on this guy.
This guy slithered across the path in front of us on the way back to our car.

A close-up. No real idea of what kind. Bull snake? (NOTE: I received a correction...Gopher Snake)
We think this is an Anna's Hummingbird. It was big and flying around in the cactus area. I have lots of cactus photos and will do a cactus post eventually.
Same hummer.
Showing off.
This we aren't sure about. We saw a pair of hawks (?) eagles(?) flying around and one landed on this nest. We are going to go back and try to see them better and figure out what they were. There are actually two nests in this tree or another large one nearby (can see them in a different photo from a different angle).
Well....my post is getting too long. I have so many photos I can't figure out how to post all of them.

14 comments:

grammie g said...

You sure are having a great time !! I almost feel like I am right there with you--but your sister--I don't think she would want another house guest. HA HA!!!The photo's say it all--especially like the way the water took on that wonderful affect--the turtle sunning-and those nails--Snakes I don't like!!!!!!!

Rose said...

Wow! Wonderful photos...wherever you go you find turtles! And the duck photos are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Great close ups of the ducks Mary.

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

Your photo's are wonderful.. I loved looking at these.. Hugs GJ x

Jenny said...

Great to get so close to those ducks. As you say, you don't normally get the chance back home. Water and reflections are endless fun I think too Mary. Glad you're having such a lovely time. Will look forward to more....

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Those ducks and reflections are wonderful.I love all the patterns in the water and the ring of turtles.Beautiful post.
Blessings,Ruth

happily retired gal said...

Wonderful photo series! I still love the turtles in your header. All the watery reflection shots of waterfowl are just marvelous ... and the two of the snake gave me chills. I see hummingbirds often because they love my citrus blossoms but they move so quickly they're hard to capture with my camera. Well done!
Hugs and blessings,

Eve said...

Love the ducks and you just have a way with turtles don't you Mary! Make these posts as long as you want...no one will complain!

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful pics this time Mary. You must be having a wonderful time with all the new wildlife.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

The ducks are pretty---but your water pictures and reflections are fabulous, Mary.... Love seeing the turtles and the hummingbirds also.

Have a wonderful Palm Sunday.
Hugs,
Betsy

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Love the 4th shot and the close up of the snake Mary.

George said...

I'm glad you went back to this park. I really like the color of the water in your first few pictures and all the reflections you captured.

Becky said...

Sorry, I'm so far behind Mary. It's been a very busy few days.
Wow what wonderful critters. Most I never get to see.
Thanks!
B.

Kathie Brown said...

I love Aqua Caliente park. I think your hawk nest is a red-tail's but I have not been up to the park yet to check for sure.