Sunday, March 7, 2010

Squirrel Sunday....

I took these photos of a squirrel eating buds off a tree Friday, so I could show "the Star" how a squirrel is supposed to feed itself in the wild.







Are you watching, Star???
Not every squirrel gets sunflower seeds fed to it every day.
Star?
(Why do I figure this message is falling on deaf ears?)

13 comments:

Don Wood said...

No one has explained he has no need to go to the end of the branch, the berries closer are just as tasty. I think he is showing off.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I hope Star takes notice Mary and is impressed too. A x

Dorothy said...

How do you manage to always get such good squirrel pictures???? Are they tame, or are you using an extra long lens??? Good job and I hope Star takes note!!

Mary said...

Don: Well, I don't think you can tell squirrels much of anything :-) They are the buds that he is eating. Maybe he knows how many and which ones to eat and not harm the tree?

Anne: I'm sure as long as I give Star handouts, he will remain as lazy as he is...along with all the others that come to my feeders.

Dorothy: I do have a lot of zoom on my camera and this squirrel was so high up he didn't see me as much of a threat. I cropped the photos some, also.

Anonymous said...

Well, if someone served you a free buffet everyday, would you go out and gather berries for breakfast? For all that they have small brains, squirrels are pretty smart about some things.

grammie g said...

How interesting!! I have never seen any squirrels around here do that!! I wonder if there is a sweetness to the buds that they like!!Well something is drawing him to them,because it seems he has plenty to eat from his friend Mary!! Ha-Ha----

George said...

Somehow I think Star feels that the challenge of getting the seeds out of the feeders makes them taste better than any old buds on a tree!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I do not want to feed my squirrels --but they manage to scrounge up what is left on the bottom of the deck (which is okay). They are my vacuum cleaners --along with the Mourning Doves. ha

Great pictures of the squirrel in the tree.
Hugs,
Betsy

Jenny said...

I can always rely on Star to brighten up my Sunday! (-: Even if he's not starring!!! Thanks Mary.

DorkyDeb said...

Star is too chubby to balance on those little limbs. hahaha :) Sorry Star, but that was my first thought. LOL! Chubby or not, I love seeing Star. :)

Becky said...

I bet "Star" won't be around to view this post, and he probably will tell you he's afraid of heights.LOL
B.

Gill - That British Woman said...

our Molly (doggie) has had a busy morning so far barking at the squirrels........just as well we have no neighbours!!

Gill in Canada

Rose said...

hehehe...I have a feeling Star is ignoring you.