Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Spring is coming at Blue Grass....

Drove out to Blue Grass yesterday....We were surprised to see that they had done a controlled burn of the entire area set aside for water fowl nesting. Wow...black as far as the eye could see! I guess they know what they are doing. Should make trips there interesting this year as it grows back.
The first bird we saw was this sparrow in a tree. I thought it was a Song Sparrow when I took the photos, but after looking on the computer and at another sparrow we saw, I don't know what it is for sure.
Cropped.....it has the dark chest spot, but doesn't seem like enough stripes.....Savannah maybe?

The other sparrow I took photos of.....same kind? I'm really not very good on sparrows except ones that come to my feeders that I can see close.

Mike spotted this little spider on the car while I was taking photos of Killdeer. We wondered if it was the kind that made strands of web all over the fields we passed.

Killdeer in the parking lot. I'm always afraid we will drive over a nest after the time we almost parked on top of one.
I do love their stripes and their noisy call.
A Robin surveying the scene.

Look at all those nice buds surrounding the Red-Wing Blackbird. We saw them perched everywhere on the tall grasses and the trees giving their buzzing call.

Another high in a tree.
Flying high

The reflections on the lakes were great of the grasses, so of course I took way too many photos. They just looked so pretty in the afternoon sun.

The sun and the water were just right for the reflections.


Blackbird on the grass wanted to reflect, too.......
.....here he is!
As the sun went down the swarms of blackbirds passed overhead in waves.
Spring is coming!

15 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Spring is coming and the birdies are beginning to arrive...HOORAY!!!!!

grammie g said...

Your photo's of the golden grass against the water are so nice to see. God's hand makes all things beautiful in every season!! So good to see red winged blackbirds. I'm wathing for them to arrive hear. P.S.If your have a chance stop by adventures with Renee's great photo's of the snow on Mt.Washington in New Hampshire!!

Cicero Sings said...

Those golden grass pictures are lovely.

We've been having mild, mild weather but last night it dropped down to -10.2C. Brrrr Supposed to warm up a bit more tonight (only -3C).

abb said...

I'm ready for some green grasses!

Mary said...

Jenn Jilkes: Three cheers! I'm ready!

Grammie G: Thanks! Renee got some wonderful photos of the mountains.

Cicero:Thanks...we are finally warming up.

Annie: Green would be nice...yes, green is always good!

me ann my camera said...

It looks like a Song Sparrow to me. Your grass photos are beautiful! I can understand why one would want to take picture after picture! How I would love to see a blackbird now. They should be returning here soon. Your photos are beautiful. I am full of yearning for such a photo opportunity such as you had!Ann

Dorothy said...

Mary, you have another wonderful series of pictures in this post!!! Love the birds and the reflections in the water!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I love all those reflections.I would have done the same,take too many pictures.Wait a minute,I don't think one can ever take too many pictures.:)
Blessings,ruth

Anonymous said...

Great shots of the reflecting reeds Mary.

Jenny said...

You can never have toooooo many reflecitons I think Mary! (-: You got some great shots. My guess would be savannah sparrow, but it's not clear cut is it! That dark eye line is good for Savannah. I love that shot of the Red wing eyeing you up.

Rose said...

Very nice shots...I cannot help with the sparrow ones. I love the reflection photos you took. they are very, very nice.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Neat photo of the area. My, all your snow is gone.

Mary said...

Ann: Could be either! Sparrows are so hard to figure! I thought the tail shape didn't look right or the amount of stripes.

Dorothy, Ruth, Roy: I always like taking reflections and the water and sun seemed to be just right for it.

Jenny: I guess I'll just put it down as "sparrow" and leave it at that :-)

Rose: Thanks!

Tom: Yes, this is more normal for us. I certainly hope there is no more snow this year!

Eve said...

What a beautiful place Mary. I think your first instinct was right with the Song Sparrow.
That spider is FREAKY!!!!
Love your pictures.

Becky said...

Pretty, pretty pictures Mary.
I saw lots of Robins today here. I just hope they aren't too early because we will be having more snow yet.
I had a ton of Red winged blackbirds around my feeders today too.
B.