Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Odds and ends until I get to Arizona....

These photos are the last of my left-overs....I think. The birds are at my house, the wildflowers either from the wetlands or a cemetery out in New Harmony. Today we are headed to Nashville to spend the night and fly out in the morning for Arizona. May not have a post tomorrow, until I get there!These doves were sitting in the drive just staring. Maybe they are courting, who knows with doves.
They do have pretty feathers and I like the bright pink feet.

Another pair that stopped by. We often have a pair of Canada geese stay on our pond long enough to raise a family. There is a small wooded area on one side and they usually put their nest over there.

Maybe you remember my Mallard pair from last year. They have returned, too.

I'm sure it is the same pair because she has a band on her leg....even though I can't read the numbers on it yet. Also, she headed right for our driveway where she found food last year!
I think they put their nest on the other side of the road from our house, down along a ditch that has water in it right now.
The male is much more leery and stayed on the other side of the drive and watched her. Did the same thing last year!

Mr. Mean, the Mocking bird is still trying to guard the tree.

You can see that it doesn't bother the Red-Bellied woodpecker any. I better put out new suet before we leave.
The Wren looking for spilled bits on the walk.

While at the wetlands looking for turtles and later on a drive to New Harmony, we saw a few wildflowers peeping through (some might say weeds, but if it has a flower, its a wildflower to me!)




The minnows were easy to see in the clear water right now. We heard a lot of frog noise, too. I took an audio clip of that, but forgot to include it. Boy, are they loud!
Next post....Arizona!

9 comments:

Rose said...

I had forgotten your mallards! How wonderful that they returned....now you will get to watch them again...

Rose said...

I forgot to tell you I LOVE your header photo.

grammie g said...

Nice left overs I had them with breakfast this morning HA HA!!!The mocking bird is hear every summer and can be a pest and a character!! Have safe trip!!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I like the way the pink of the Doves feet shows up so well.It is most interesting when birds return and come looking for food in the usual places,like your mallard.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

Now that is strange , I was going to put some doves, Turtle doves,
ducks and fish on my today's blog.
But have left them on save . as today first time I went out towards the airport side of Luxor. good job too
my birding count has now reached 70 species, you also say the frogs were noisy this latest bird even so tiny was the noisiest little thing I ever heard. have a safe journey.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip, Mary....

I hadn't seen our Mourning Doves in awhile--but lo and behold, two of them were on the deck yesterday.

Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

We are starting to hear frogs & toads here too. But I've yet to see any this year. I'm hoping soon.

Dorothy said...

Mary, I hope you have a great trip, too! The Doves are really pretty!

Becky said...

It's so nice to have ducks and geese nesting so near.
I hear the Wood ducks down on the stream, but it's too swift for them to nest yet.
We have lots of Doves, and they all are courting.
Hope by now you are enjoying some rest and warmer weather. It has been misting and very foggy all day. Typical late March weather.
B.