Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Indiana's state bird....

I've mentioned before that the Cardinal is Indiana's state bird. It is also the state bird for 6 other states....Illinois, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia. Chosen by more states than any other bird, although 6 have the Western Meadowlark and 5 chose the Mockingbird.Obviously this beautiful red bird is a real crowd pleaser :-) I become so accustomed to seeing them, that it is strange to think that there are states where they aren't found here in the US.
They are one of the shyest birds to try to take photos of that I see every day. They are more aware of my presence and bothered by it than almost any other bird that comes to my feeders. I feel guilty when I know they are sitting in the tree or bushes waiting patiently for me to go away!

They seem to like to feed early in the day and again near dusk, but they are out there all day long. They will eat at any feeder they can sit on and love to eat on the ground or deck railings.

This male is checking me out as I stand in the opening of the garage. No matter how still I try to be, they don't want me there. When I look at them out of the windows, they see my focusing light or any slight movement and fly away.

Maybe they are aware that their color makes them an easily seen target. They don't blend in to their surroundings like most birds.

I like to see them in pairs. They often hang around that way.

They like the cover of the thick bushes....especially my forsythia bushes.
You still can't hide when you are bright red no matter how thick the bush is :-)

Waiting in the tree for me to go away and giving warning to any other bird that I'm there. I'm glad that Indiana picked the Cardinal for its state bird!

11 comments:

Dorothy said...

Great shots of your birds, Mary! The Cardinal is one of my favorites!

grammie g said...

The photo's of your cardinal are great----I especially like the male and female together. I don't usually see them on the ground together. One or the other seems to be always on the lookout while the other feeds. And oh you have some green grass!!!!!

Mary said...

Dorothy: You just can't be sad when a bright red bird is sitting out there :-)

Grammie G: Because we have several pairs that hang around, I think that only one or two stand guard, so some pairs are together when I see them. They House Sparrows seem to hang around with them, too...bad company! I see them all in the "gossip bush" where they congregate and chitter away together.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

You are right, Mary.. The Cardinals are shy... Even if I am inside of my home, if he/she 'feels' my presence, they will fly away.

I love the Cardinals also---and am not surprised that they are so many state birds... Wish they were the TN state bird also instead of the Mockingbird --which I seldom see here... Duh!!!!

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

Beautiful birds.. Thank you for visiting me, I just love visitors.. Hugs GJ xx

Anonymous said...

They are fantastic birds Mary. You can send some over the pond if you like.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You are so lucky to have them around,even if they are shy.Twice in my lifetime,have I seen these beautiful birds.
Blessings,Ruth

Patrinas Pencil said...

Sweet Mary - my favorite!

Patrina <")>><

Becky said...

Ah yes, the Cardinal. I have had 6 pair this winter, and now that nesting season is fast approaching they will all move on except 1 pair.
Good shots Mary. They can be very shy!
B.

me ann my camera said...

Lucky you! I haven't seen a cardinal for over a year or more. Our provincial bird is the Black-capped Chickadee. There are lots of them around daily.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: I love the color they bring all Winter.