Tuesday, March 2, 2010

In the field, in the park, in the yard.....

These photos are from a variety of sites, as the title says. We spotted a Northern Harrier systematically swooping over a field so we stopped to watch him. He actually kept getting a bit closer as he hunted, so I got some shots, even though they were very distant still.
I really love to watch them. They stay low to the ground and very intent on what is below them.

I was thrilled to get this "feet down" shot even if it is a bit far away. He blends so well with his surroundings, that if it wasn't for that white rump, he would be really hard to see.

Starting to head towards the trees. Even when he got to the trees, his white rump still gave his location away and helped me keep track of him.

Back at home, I watched a White Breasted Nuthatch and the other feeder birds for a bit.
Nuthatch way up in the Ash tree. I was just reading today about the Ash Borers that are making there way through our state destroying ash trees, so I had better enjoy my Ash while I have it. I would really miss this tree and so would the birds. I hope they somehow miss our county, but don't imagine that is going to happen.

Mr. Cardinal picking through the seed mess.

Song Sparrow doing the same.

This shot of his back reminds me a little of .......
.....this Sycamore bark. I was taking photos of different textures and patterns

The Mulberry with the large burls down by the creek always catches my eye.

A limb on the ground covered with really nice fungi.

A Cattail we saw at the park.

The neighbor's house reflected in the lake. I was noting the receding ice...yeah!
The last few days have been in the 40's so things are looking up a bit!

15 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Love the diffrent bark and the reflection Mary. Thank goodness it seems to be getting warmer. It is about time. Soon you will have butterflies too.

Diane said...

Mary - new to your site - your pictures are beautiful! I also saw the pictures of your cat checking out the wildlife. Too cute. I love cats almost as much as I love birds.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You always come up with such creative pictures,even if its a cattail opening up.I enjoy each one and Thanks.
Blessings,Ruth

Tony nile life said...

Amen to all the comments you know the Elm trees long dissapeared in
the uk they have brought an elm from China that seems not to catch the dutch elm disease. the trees we lost on the farm we had to burn in situate where the where felled no branches or any part of the tree could be sold or moved off the land.
that also is a beautiful tree. some did survive mainly in the national parks etc the one in the Kew botanic gardens London. suffered a different fate that got blown down in the storms of the eighties.

CountryDreaming said...

Thanks for the lesson on the Northern Harrier. Since you've described its behavior as well as showing a good field mark to notice when it's far away, I have a far better chance of one day seeing one. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hope your temperatures start climbing now Mary.
Mr Cardinal has more seeds than he knows what to do with.

Ingrid said...

I quickly close your post before Arthur, Rosie and Pookie see all these beautiful birds !

abb said...

I just love the bark of the sycamore tree. And the way their limbs grow - reminds me of crooked lightening. Lovely photos!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, You have some great pictures today.. Love seeing the Harrier... Beautiful bird.

the Cardinal always stands out this time of year. AND that Song Sparrow is so pretty. I have one around here also.

Today it is snowing here (2 inches) --so the birds are flocking to the feeders. There must be 50-100 Goldfinches!!!!

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

Your shots of the Northern Harrier on the hunt are very good -- much better than anything I've ever gotten. I also like that Mulberry tree with all the burls.

Jenny said...

Great post Mary! I too love that N. Harrier shot with it's feet down ready to pounce!It's either a female or a young (1st year) bird with that plumage. I love them! That burry bark reminded me straight away of a face with a big bulbous nose. Fantastic fungi wrapped around that branch.

Mary said...

Joan: It is certainly getting warmer...the butterflies might be a few months off yet :-)

Diane: Thanks for stopping by! I left you a couple of messages.

Ruth:Thanks! I think there are always new things out there...or at least new for this year :-)

Tony: I hate losing full grown shade trees. Our Ash is so nice, I will just have to pray the borers don't get here. We had a gorgeous elm tree when I was a kid, and I know it died of something. Probably the Dutch Elm disease and I just didn't know it back then.

CountryDreaming: If you ever see a Harrier you will remember it from its actions.

Roy: Getting warmer each day! A lot of that seed mess might be empty husks. I will clean it up when it gets a bit drier.

Gattina: LOL! My cats like to watch them, too and can't understand why I won't let them out to chase the squirrels...as if they could catch one anyway.

Annie: I think sycamores are one of the prettiest trees.

Betsy: More snow in Tennessee?? That's terrible.

George: I find Harriers easier than hawks to get when they are flying because they are usually against the ground. I'm terrible at shots in the air.

Jenny: Thanks for noting the age of the Harrier....I hadn't really paid attention to that. I think all the ones we see are this color. I'm not sure I've seen a male. I agree that burl looks sort of like a face now that you pointed it out :-)

Becky said...

The best thing I noticed right away Mary, was you have NO Snow!
Love the Harrier shots. Another bird I've never seen.
I have been keeping my eye to the sky more now looking for birds more than ground critters.
I just love your trees and bark shots. There are so many. It could be another meme...
B.

Mary said...

Becky: Thanks! I had never seen a Harrier until we started going to Blue Grass, but now I have spotted them a couple other places. I know what they look like now and how they act.

Rose said...

I love watching the Northern Harriers...seems like they have gotten more skittish since we first found them.

That mulberry tree is something else! I like it.