Wednesday, March 24, 2010

How to tell you aren't in Indiana any more....

1. There are no mountains in Indiana.the Catalina Foothills from my sister's front drive
2. There are cactus everywhere you look and little grass.

3. The House Sparrows build their nests in cactus holes instead of WalMart signs. (I'm pretty sure that is a H. Sparrow peeking out of that lower hole in the center cactus. I saw it fly in.

4. There are no Gambel's Quail running around like chickens back home in Indiana :-)
5. There are Phainopepla sitting at the tops of the trees here. I love these big birds. This is the male. They are closely related to Waxwings but aren't true members of that family.

Here he has his crest lowered down. The female is gray, but I don't always see her.
6. There are Hummingbirds here already! Terrible shot, but it was getting late in the day. Back home it will be a couple months before the hummers arrive.
7. They have Lesser Goldfinches here.....hope I get a better photo before I leave. The male high in a tree.
I think this is the female but it looks more like our American Goldfinches in their winter color.
OK....we have House Finches in Indiana, but I would swear that these are bigger and more colorful!
This one has less color and is more orange than red. I don't usually see that back home.
Well, that is day one of vacation! We spent most of the day in airports and on planes. My posting won't be on any particular schedule like back home. I'll probably post in the evening.

11 comments:

Lindy said...

Welcome to Arizona, Mary! Beautiful sights! You are only about 90 minutes' drive from our house there. Don't you just love to hear the quail? I hope you get to see a roadrunner during your visit. Have you been to the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum yet? It's a worthwhile visit.
http://www.desertmuseum.org/

Anonymous said...

It must be fun to go travel and take photos in new locations. Love these shots! I agree the finches do look bigger. hmmmmmm wonder why? Are they supposed to be the same finches as ours back east? Because they sure look a lot bigger than mine too.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Yes---that's not Indiana, nor is it Tennessee... I have never seen an orange finch before.... Quite pretty!!!!!

Have a great time at your sister's home. I know you will... Send pictures when you can.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

With this sampling of pictures,you should be in for a fabulous time.Those House Finches do look more colorful.
Blessings,Ruth

Dorothy said...

I enjoyed seeing this post! We don't see those in MS, either! That Finch looks more like our Purple Finches, except more orange looking. I love those Quail.

grammie g said...

What a great change!! Nice photo's of the landscape-birds-plants isn't God amazing!! I see Him in everything!! Those house sparrows,who also nest here at Lowe's etc. I have a few here and I have to chase them off. They pecked at the head of a setting bluebird and she died.
Have a great vacation and visit with your sister!!!

AM said...

I Love It!!! I feel like I'm at home with Mom and Mary! :-) Look forward to seeing more post from Tucson, aunt Mary. You make me homesick... Love you!!

George said...

These are all great signs that you aren't in Indiana anymore. Thanks for taking us along.

Eve said...

It's SO fun going to Arizona with you Mary! Love the birds. I've never been out west so many of these would be lifers for me! More please!!!

Rose said...

I see you are having a good time! Glad you made it there safely...I like all the pictures. I had never heard of the Phainopepla. He is quite a handsome bird.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing you lovely travel photos with us ... good to know you're enjoying your trip. My neighbor has that round cactus with yellow blossoms growing in her garden but I have no idea what it's called.
Hugs and blessings,