Maybe this was "air mail" rather than UPS!
I opened the door to take a photo of the sky and trees......looked down and saw we had a package.......and a little something extra! I assume this Downy flew into the door or one of the sidelights by the door. I reached down and touched her and she didn't fly at first. I was going to move her to a safer spot since one of our cats was outside, but she flew to a bush when I started to move her. Good! I'm glad she wasn't permanently hurt (and that I didn't step on her)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Aw! I hope Mrs Downy recovered ok. She looks a bit peaky in your photo there. Probably hit your door trying to evade a Coopers or Sharp-shinned hawk.
Poor little thing - glad she was able to hide away until she recovered. I get so upset when I see birds like that. A
Thats amazing Mary, yes its always best to try and put them somewhere safe if you can after that.
I suppose that is one of few times if not the only time you will pet a woodpecker!
I hate it when a bird does that . flying full pelt at a window, I mean,
and sometimes they do hit the pane so hard they break their necks. Good job the cat was not in the area at the time. mind you sometimes a cat will catch a bird just to play with
our Siamese would bring them in the front room and let it go just to watch it fly around. often we had to open the window to let one out
We've had parcels just left at the door too. How safe is that.
Glad the Downy came too ... hopefully no permanent damage?
I like the new uniform design. I hope they hire some of these new delivery staff in our area, too.
Now thats what I call a delivery. I am so glad it wasn't a delvery for the kitty too.. Hugs GJ xx
Glad it wasn't fatal for the bird.
They fly into our windows real often. You may have seen some of the pictures I've posted of them in my hands. While I like to see and touch them, I hate for them to hit the window so hard!
Thanks everyone.....they don't hit my window very often, but the downys spend a lot of time on the dead dogwood by the front door and I wonder if the UPS person startled it.
Glad/Hope the little Downy was okay, Mary... She was probably stunned... I always worry about my birds hitting one of our many windows/doors. So far--we only had it happen once (since we've lived here)--and that bird died. (Don't even know what it was since I wasn't birding back then and paid no attention.)
Hope you have had a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy
What a wonderful "present" to receive Mary. Being able to toch these wild creatures is so thrilling. I am glad she was okay though and could fly off.
I used to do Roofing and one day a Pigeon bashed into the roof and knocked itself out but flew off about 20 minutes later. But working for UPS you would have thought a parcel that size deserved a driver and a mate.
How lucky Mrs. Downey was that you came along when you did. She could have been lunch for one of your cats..
B.
Whew!! hope she turned out ok!
Mary: That is amazing, but I hope she makes it.
Post a Comment