Friday, March 26, 2010

Birds and flowers.....

I did a couple downloads of photos, so these didn't end up very ordered. These first 3 photos are a cute little bird called a Verdin. It is in the Titmice family.
Fluffed up here :-)

A very cute bird. This was at my sisters, but we saw one at a park we went to also.
The female Phainopela. I posted the male in his black color yesterday.
Phainopepla is from a Greek word meaning "Silky Robe", which fits the lovely black male very well.
3 more photos of the Lesser Goldfinch.

It's back
A hummer high in the tree. I was wondering if it is an Anna's, but the light on it is poor.
The hummingbirds that I have seen feeding all appear to be Ruby Throats.
There are a pair of Gila Woodpeckers that always sit on her neighbor's cactus.
Not a great shot, but the two were there together. I've tried to figure out if they go in any of the holes on the cactus, but never see them do it.

I found out there are at least 2 types of doves here. This is the Mourning Dove that I see back home, also. Look at its tail and then look at.....

.....this one! It was just luck I saw both sitting in the same position, or I would not have even known they were different. This one is the White-Winged Dove, according to my sister. I didn't see the white on the wings. Now that I know there are two, I will be looking for a better shot.
Can't resist the really cute bunnies that come to her yard. You may have to settle for "Bunny Sunday" while I am here unless I see some rodent somewhere :-)
Isn't he adorable?
Even the Cardinals look longer, leaner and brighter here! I wonder if it is the drier climate? I see a lot of disease at home sometimes....bald ones, etc....and wonder if it is the wetter environment they have to live in.
So bright....he looks like he is smiling.

The male Gila Woodpecker in the tree. I have lots of photos of it. The female hasn't come to the yard yet, but this one found the suet I put out yesterday.
Another Lesser Goldfinch shot.
We drove to the Catalina State Park and did some walking yesterday.
These flowers are all along the roadside on the way....so beautiful!
I love this mix of gold and white ones right inside the entrance of the park.

Don't know the name of this yet, but it lines the paths that we walk. A fairly tall plant.
More roadside flowers.....lupines and marigolds, I think.
Don't know name.
We are going to go out looking for wildflowers later in the week. Hope to add more and get some names :-)
Mike is going to a spring training baseball game today, so don't know what Dorothy and I will be doing yet.

16 comments:

George said...

You've got some wonderful pictures out there in Arizona. Don't get so enthralled with what you're seeing that you forget to come back home. Star would miss you.

Mary said...

LOL! since my son probably won't feed him, it will make him appreciate me when I come home.

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Mary, great shots of some very pretty wildlife. Always fun to go to a different area and see what there is to offer and it looks like you have found many wonderful treasures.

Anonymous said...

That Verdin is a super little bird Mary and its so nice to see the flowers now.

Mike said...

Wow Mary stunning somewhere I would love to visit.

Eve said...

BUNNY SUNDAY!!! I love it!! Can't wait! hahaha
These birds and flowers are just great Mary. Maybe someday I'll get to see Arizona. I guess this it a good time of year to go.
Loving your posts as usual, but maybe just a little more with all the new birds. You're doing a great job of teaching me new birds!
00's and XX's!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures Mary. I do like that first cardinal one.

grammie g said...

Looks like your having a great time with so many different things to photograph!! Those first two photos of flowers look like the california poppy that I used to grow in my garden. They liked dry sandy soil!! Enjoy yourself!!!

Leedra said...

Aren't Cardinals brighter during breeding season? Lovely photos, all of them.

Rose said...

These make me wish I was there, too! I am so ready for spring...it was cool here yesterday. some might say cold...so you are not missing anything.

Becky said...

Wow, you hit the jack-pot! Wonderful pictures Mary.
Just so you don't get homesick for some cooler weather, it's 19ยบ here tonight and we got 1/4" of snow last night!
Hope you are having fun.
B.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

What a gorgeous set of pictures.I especially liked the two photos of the California Poppies,at least that's what we call them.I love these flowers.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great pictures, Mary.... I'm amazed at how different their birds are from ours. You got some great pictures. Love that little Verdin... Cute!!!!

And the two doves are quite different aren't they????

Beautiful flowers also.
Hugs,
Betsy

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Here a lot of the birds make their nest in the cacti too Mary. Those bunnies are just too cute but I love all those flowers most of all. What a wonderful time to be galavanting around the country with all this beautiful color popping out everywhere. Hope you are enjoying yourself.

Cicero Sings said...

I see you are having fun, there in Arizona. Nice to go on holidays and see different plants and creatures ... spices things up a little.

Kerri Farley said...

WOW ~ Fabulous captures ~ not the types of birds I'm used to seeing (except the Cardinal) Great pics!!!