Friday, July 31, 2009

SkyWatch Friday....

It's SkyWatch Friday and this week the skies were dramatic most of the time. My husband was trying a little kite flying on Wednesday against these wonderful clouds.
For more skies from all over the world click on the SkyWatch icon on my sidebar.
"I didn't see it catch a single fly.....I can do better by far!"
Not sure which member of the Flycatcher family this is, but it was not impressed with the kite flying.

Back at home on Thursday, the skies got darker and gloomier.
This little hummingbird was enjoying the flowers on the vine of my "dead tree" from yesterday's post.

She kept stopping to chase away another female, so I didn't get too many shots.

It was nice to get shots that didn't involve a red feeder :-)

During a brief lull in the weather we stopped by the arboretum where I got very frustrated because I saw a brand new butterfly and didn't get a single shot of it before it took off! It was a zebra striped butterfly of some sort...black and white. I've never seen one before.
The Tiger Swallowtail was more than willing to pose.
I saw the Clearwing Hummingbird Moth....no photos.
I saw a small light tan butterlfy I didn't know...no photos.
Definitely a frustrating morning with the butterflies!
I'm never sure if this is a black Tiger Swallowtail or a Spicebush Swallowtail. I can't seem to figure out what the difference is in their markings.
Spicebush?

Not sure what this is either.

I spent more time chasing butterflies around than actually taking photos.

23 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

LOL!! Welcome to the Chasing Butterflies Club Mary!! They can be buggers to get pictues of. Love that Tiger Swallowtail.

Your skies are really dramatic and I am always envious of you hummingbird shots. :)

We have rain forecast for tomorrow and I really do hope we get a good shower even though I planned to go out for the day. We can really do with it.

Rose said...

Great butterfly captures!

Eve said...

I'm glad Mike didn't discover lighting Mary!!! Great photo! When you get your book on Butterflies you will see that you did a good job identifying the Spicebush! And you will find that you have a Hackberry Emperor. Didn't you find one of those before???!!! Chasing butterflies can be very frustrating Mary!!! I don't know why we just keep doing it! Must be fun!!

Arija said...

Your sky is great, but your nature shots are just beautiful.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: It looks like a prehistoric bird in the sky, very cool. Neat shots of the hummers and I enjoyed your butterflies.

Unknown said...

Beautiful website - I love your photos. You had me wondering what kind of bird that was, at first glance. And I'm with you on the value of dead trees, though I suppose most of us don't want to worry about them falling on our houses. You know you're in good bird/wildlife habitat when there are dead trees in the mix.

Dorothy said...

Wonderful pictures! I think the black one is a Spicebush Swallowtail, because it looks like one Leedra posted. I don't know about the brown one:-( Have a great weekend!

Mary said...

Thanks everyone!

Eve: You are right...I did see a Hackberry before! I knew this looked familiar but I never seem to get a real good shot of them and it wouldn't close its wings for me at all. Still don't have that butterfly book, but will look again today.

Huzhar said...

Those are beautiful photos. The birds and the butterflies are awesome..
Well captured..

Anonymous said...

I must say that your photography is impressive and while we don't have many birds here in Ohio this summer and no butterflies we did get a Hawk moth the other day. I have thoroughly enjoyed your pictures.

Now, you and your friends can help me Make History. I am trying to see if it is possible to get 10,000 visitors in a short period of time on my new blog, Pick a Peck of Pixels. If you go there, please either become a Follower or leave a comment. You can come back each day to see and read something new. Your visit will count and help me Make History. Pick a Peck of Pixels

Larry D said...

Great photos, the butterflies are wonderful!

Carletta said...

Chasing butterflies - sounds like a book title. :)
Lovely sky shot! I agree with Fishing Guy that it looks like a very colorful bird that could have graced the skies in other times.

Jenny said...

Ha! (-: You chasing butterflies reminds me of me chasing that dragonfly a few weeks ago Mary. It's great once you do actually get a shot of one isn't it.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Life's like that.Sometimes we get the shot we want and at other times they take off.You did get some great pictures.I do like the Hummingbird in a natural setting.
Blessings,Ruth

George said...

These are some of the best pictures of hummingbirds I've ever seen.

Sharon said...

I actually thought it was bird up in the sky instead of a kite! How fun, to fly a kite again! Your photos are wonderful!

Becky said...

More great pictures Mary. I love kite flying too, and it's been so windy here lately. Just perfect!
As usual, I love all your Butterflies. They are slowly coming around here.
That last one you posted is a Hackberry Butterfly. You must have Hackberry trees nearby, and they will attract those snout butterflies too.
B.

Creative Cards said...

Simply put lovely..you have done a fantastic job.

abb said...

Well, your chasing DID result in some excellent flutterby photos!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, We had tons of rain and clouds this week also. Is that a KITE in that first picture--or a bird??????

Love your hummer... He is a cutie. I've seen a few hummers around here--but so far, not too many.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Kelly said...

...love that Tiger Swallowtail. I've only seen them from afar...and this morning one floated by my window. I yelled out at him, "Tiger-boy...land on the Bee Balm I planted for you," but he paid no heed and floated out of view. :-D

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Lovely pics of the little humming bird and the butterflies are wonderful. So pretty. Loved the kite in the sky too! A x

Mary said...

Thanks everyone!

Betsy: Yes, it is a kite in the first photo :-)

Kelly: Those Tiger's can be very frustrating....you just get focused and off they go!