Monday, July 13, 2009

Some new and interesting critters!....

My friend, Fran, told me about a gravel road where she sees butterflies among the rocks. So of course I immediately headed to check it out! What a bonanza.....but not the very best shots. This was a totally new critter for me! A butterfly with a "snout"! I thought it was a trick of the shadow in the photo at first. I looked them up in that little butterfly book I have and it calls it a "Tropical Snout" but Google says an "American Snout".....I won't argue with either. What a strange critter! Not very big and flitted around constantly making photos difficult. If I had realized how strange it was, I would have tried harder for a better shot. Will have to go back here!
Another photo of it. Have any of you seen these before???

This gravel road runs between tall trees and the shadows were difficult. Even with lightening the photos up on the computer, they are still dark. A Tiger Swallowtail.

Very pretty, but kept moving constantly.

Is this the Spicebush Swallowtail again? I wasn't sure since the photo isn't the best. (NOTE: Eve says it is a Red Spotted Purple Admiral...a new one for me.)

It flew up to this leaf giving me the side view.

This one would not open up to show off and I was shooting from the car window. It took off before I could get out and try harder. However.....

....while trying to find it, I saw this Ebony Jewelwing Damselfly! Cool! I've never seen one of these before. What a startling green body and those wonderful black wings!
This very large grasshopper had perfect camouflage! Even his eye is "rock" colored.
Another wildflower I don't know. Very pretty!
I liked this Queen Anne's lace "ball" almost as much as the beautiful flowers themselves.

This area is near the Slough where we saw all the geese migrating last fall, so we drove by that area, too. At one of the overlook platforms there was a dead tree sticking up that seemed to be a favorite for dragonflies and other critters.
This little cricket was first under.....
....and then on top! I love his long antenae :-)
There were a couple of dragonflies on the same branch. I thought this was a different angle than what I usually shoot. Actually, he wouldn't turn around and the light was such that I wasn't even sure which dragonfly it is....one of the blue ones, I think (either Blue Dasher or Eastern Pondhawk)
Again....just an odd angle :-)
Now I will be checking gravel roads for more of those odd snout butterflies and others. Will go back to this place next week sometime.

14 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

This definitely was bonanza day!! WOW Mary, what lovely critters you got pics of. We have some moths which have long snouts like that but not butterflies and that one is extra long. It must be a nectar feeder to have adapted like that. :)

Eve said...

I've been hoping to see an American Snout Mary, good job. That butterfly you are questioning is a Red Spotted Purple. Look close, no "tail". It's in the Admiral family. They are so pretty. Another great trip, can't wait til you get back there!

Mary said...

Joan: I didn't even know there was such a thing as a moth or butterfly with a snout! I wonder why I have never seen them before?

Eve: Oh, thanks! I had such bad photos of the Admiral, that I didn't even notice the lack of a tail. It was a pretty butterfly that I hadn't seen before. A good day for new things for me!

Becky said...

You just go to the coolest places Mary. How fortunate you are, and now you have found Butterfly heaven. I've never seen one of those snout ones, much less heard of them. FYI- I looked them up in my Butterfly book, and it says they are found in fossil shales some 30 million years old! Since many of these deposits contain impressions of hackberry leaves, it seems likely that North American snout butterflies have fed on hackberries at least since then.
Amazing! If you see more take more pics.
B.

Mary said...

Becky: Thanks for all the cool information about it. I guess I better learn what a Hackberry looks like, so I will know where to find them.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

This place certainly yielded some amazing critters for you.The butterfly with a snout is new to me.Thanks for sharing these photos.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Ruth: Thanks! Certainly some that I've never seen before.

Leedra said...

I agree with Eve, it is a Red Spotted Purple. My reference book has it in the Swallowtail section, but I have learned it is not part of the Swallowtail family. Great to have gotten a photo of the wings together, it has been my experience that it is harder to get. Never seen the American Snout before, will be on the lookout.

Jenny said...

What a great day out and not even at a nature reserve! You have some amazing looking bugs and butterflies over there. I'm itching to get over again now I have a decent camera. One day soon maybe.... I love that pretty pink flower too. So pure looking. I'm sorry not to be able to help you with what it's called.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, You got some great pictures of the butterflies and dragon flies.

Are they easier to 'get' than the birds????? ha

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

It looks as if you really did find a photographer's bonanza. The pictures are great and the critters are fascinating.

Mary said...

Leedra: I seem to have more luck with wings together than with wings open wide. I always miss the open shots.

Jenny:I'm going to flip through my very poor wildflower book and see if I can find that flower...but don't hope much.

Betsy: I'd much rather be shooting birds! It is fun to try the little stuff if they don't move around too much. I had never paid attention to dragonflies until last year when other bloggers started showing photos. Now I see more than I used to.

George: I'm looking forward to going back to this place. It is over in Henderson, so I can't go every day.

Mike said...

Very nice Mary, your butterflies are certainly better looking than ours.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: You really have been have a ball with your insects. I love the snooty butterfly.