Last Tuesday we did our weekly check of the eagle and herons. The two young eagles were sitting on the edge of the nest, but that was all. The herons were much more entertaining.
The heron seem to be watching the eagles, too. This top nest group were very busy.
"Mom told us to stay in the nest!"
"Look....I can fly!"
Lots of flapping going on out there and some were taking short flights or jumps from limb to limb.
On Friday morning, I believe one of them "flapped" his way to our house!
On Friday morning, I believe one of them "flapped" his way to our house!
("It followed me home, can I keep it??")
Mike spotted him standing in the neighbor's yard, so I crept out with the camera.
Instead of flying away like most of them do at the slightest motion, it walked across the neighbor's side yard and headed across the street.
I don't see any of the long neck feathers on it and the shoulders don't appear to have much color on them.
Later on, I looked out and there it was again peeping over the dam.
22 comments:
Nice post Mary, I love these birds, great collection of shots.
What a marvelous opportunity Mary.
Around here they are so skittish.
What a beautiful bird.
More rain today UGH ! That means more housework. Boo!
Have a wonderful day.
I still wish we were closer, but at least you post some amazing pictures!
B.
What a wonderful post Mary. It must have wonderful to spend all this time with them. Love the dialog. :)
Mike, Becky, Joan: I've never seen one so willing to ignore me. I think it is a young one.
Love these wondrous special glimpses into the world of a baby heron!
I snapped a heron photo this week, too, in My Muskoka. I caught it feeding, but didn't have the right settings on the camera. i keep learning, though! So nice to see them on the nest, as we have none near us. Thanks for sharing!
Wow!! Mary....these are fantastic photos. You're so lucky to have him skulking around your yard!! If he followed you home... Hope he comes back for more photos!
Country Dreaming: It is really interesting to watch this rookery and all the happenings. Unfortunately it is about 200 yards or more away and you have to use binoculars to see what is happening.
Jenn Jilks:I think your heron shots look great! We saw one catch a fish, too and I will be posting it, but I had some camera focus problems, too...especially on the wiggling fish.
Kelly: It was fun to watch it and I really couldn't get over it walking around in the neighbor's yard rather then taking off!
You got some really nice shots of these big birds!! A fun post!
I'd say that is pretty special,to have a Heron so close.I like the tree-top scenes as well.
Blessings,Ruth
How lucky you are! I would have loved to been there to watch it.
What "Great" blue heron photos. We have plenty of them here, but I have never seen a nesting family.
An Arkies Musings
Mary, The Herons are gorgeous. You got some great pictures. The one near your home is gorgeous. Hope he comes back for more visits.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy
I love the high-rise accommodation as well as your suburban visitors.
My herons in the country are terribly shy of people and hard to get a photo of.
Great shots. The surrounding areas look very familiar as I grew up in Indiana... Goshen was the town.. north central. Your blog makes me a bit home sick.
Dorothy: Thanks!
Ruth: I wish they came by more often.
Rose: Come on down sometime!
Richies: the heron rookery has been fun to watch since we discovered it back in the spring. It is actually over in Henderson, KY across the river from us.
Betsy: Well, he didn't come back today :-(
Arija:The ones at the rookery are so far away...200 yards or more...that they don't show much interest in anyone watching. This one in the yard is the tamest one that I've ever encountered.
Mkreider: Well, "hello" to a one time Hoosier! I grew up in Indianapolis, and know vaguely where Goshen is. Been in Evansville, down on the Ohio River now since my college days. Thanks for stopping by!
How lovely to get all those pictures Mary and to see the young heron so close. Hope you get to see more of him/her! A x
Mary: That was a neat series, I may have to check on my rookery.
I love to watch them fly. Very nice photos!
He hasn't been back, but who knows?
You got great photos of the herons. I especially like your photos of the one that followed you home. I wonder if he'll come back?
I'm so far behind on my comments Helen! I love your heron post!! So glad one of them came to visit you! What great pictures of them in their nest!!
Post a Comment