Amazingly, I just came from BugGuide.net. While we were in VA, we came across a gorgeous white moth with many black and a few iridescent blue spots. That wonderful site identified it as a Giant Leopard Moth. And unlike Mike's moth, the giant leopard isn't harmful.
I photographed this same moth all over my yard last year. I couldn't find out what it was, until I finally decided to post it and Hap From New Hope id'd it for me. It is a real eye catcher in the yard. I was also shocked to find out it was a moth. I haven't seen one this year, but I have been watching for it.
Annie: BugGuide does a great job. I posted a dragonfly earlier and had an answer almost immediately! It was a new one that I haven't posted yet.
Shelley: I hate that it is a webworm moth. They get in our trees. Just killed some, in fact.
Leedra: it is one of the most colorful bugs I've seen (actually Mike saw it and I didn't!) I looked up that name and found a photo with the wings open. Neat!
JOan: They do have a lot, but they have some search possibilities. They have given me answers very quickly on the few that I have posted. I'm not sure they do African bugs, however :-)
I've been lifted up on Your wings of love, Raised from the grave of sin and despair, I can soar to the top of Your holy mountain Your wings of grace will carry me there. I will humble myself in Your sight, And bow low to the King of Kings! And wait in joy and hope and peace..... As I'm lifted on grace filled wings. (by Mary Freeman)
Christian, wife, mother, quilter, reader, writer, photographer. My blog title originated when all my blogs were one. Faith, Fabric and Photos is my main blog.
10 comments:
Amazingly, I just came from BugGuide.net. While we were in VA, we came across a gorgeous white moth with many black and a few iridescent blue spots. That wonderful site identified it as a Giant Leopard Moth. And unlike Mike's moth, the giant leopard isn't harmful.
It's a colorful little bugger - that's for sure!!
I photographed this same moth all over my yard last year. I couldn't find out what it was, until I finally decided to post it and Hap From New Hope id'd it for me. It is a real eye catcher in the yard. I was also shocked to find out it was a moth. I haven't seen one this year, but I have been watching for it.
Leedra’s Photos For Fun
That sure is a great site to go too byt it doees take you hours to find something sometimes as they have so many pictures.
What an unsual moth Mary. I have learnt that things are not always what you they look like in the insect world.
Annie: BugGuide does a great job. I posted a dragonfly earlier and had an answer almost immediately! It was a new one that I haven't posted yet.
Shelley: I hate that it is a webworm moth. They get in our trees. Just killed some, in fact.
Leedra: it is one of the most colorful bugs I've seen (actually Mike saw it and I didn't!) I looked up that name and found a photo with the wings open. Neat!
JOan: They do have a lot, but they have some search possibilities. They have given me answers very quickly on the few that I have posted. I'm not sure they do African bugs, however :-)
That is one of the 'prettiest' bugs I have ever seen. I'm surprised he doesn't have a better name. He's certainly not JUST a moth. ha ha
Hugs,
Betsy
That is certainly a colorful moth,even though it does not look at all like a moth.
Blessings,Ruth
Betsy and Ruth: It is very attractive, but if it is a webworm moth, I don't want it at my house in the trees.
Yikes! That guy is sort of scary looking....so big with all those colors. Great capture!
How can a moth be so pretty? Looks like a custom paint job! :D Great shot that Mike got. Glad you were able to identify it.
Post a Comment