Saturday, July 25, 2009

Odds and ends flying around my house....

Suddenly my hummingbirds have shown up! They didn't come until July last year and here they are right on time again this year. Lovely little flying things!
Sometimes they sit still :-) This female has claimed the front feeder for her own and keeps driving others away.
They do love this little tube feeder and it is the easiest that I have ever found to clean because it is straight.
Mrs. Mallard is stopping be again, but without her mate. It is the same one that was here several months ago, because I can see the leg band.
Almost got a shot of it, but I would not know who to report it to, even if I manage to read the number.
I've got several Titmice hanging around and this one really wants those peanuts!
I believe this is a good definition of "awkward"! What a position!
Apparently it works!
More young sparrows showing up.....sigh. Surely this is the third or fourth batch??
This one is a real baby! What a cutie!
He showed up the morning that I was out of small bird seed and was not happy about it!
"Please find me some food!"......now!

This was an experiment I did a week ago....trying to photograph a lightening bug!
My best attempt was taken with flash, which surprised me. It is a lot easier to catch them and put them in bottles than to "catch" them with the camera! At least for me. I can remember catching them as kids and putting them in green 7-Up bottles. Of course we always let them go again. They are very slow flyers and hover a lot.
And another week ends.

21 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Well I am pleased to see that the things flying around are not ones you are throwing at Mike. :)

The hummingbirds are always a pleasure to have around. I really love the dragonfly in your header Mary.

Mike said...

Very jealous of the hummingbirds, i would love to see them in real life. Mike.

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely series again Mary. All the bird shots are super and I was impressed with your lightning bug. When I first saw them years ago I was mesmerized by them and sat out in the dark for ages just watching all those twinkling lights.

Dorothy said...

Great series of flying things! Aren't you glad you live where you can be close to Nature and see all these!

Mary said...

Joan: LOL! No photos to tell whether I throw things or not :-)

Mike: I wish you could see them, because you would take such wonderful photos!

Denise: I know...isn't it neat watching them? I guess that is why kids like to catch them. I hope someone who really knows how to use their camera takes a better photo.

Dorothy: God has blessed us with so much lovely stuff in nature!

Dorothy

Tom Arbour said...

Mary- Great shots. You've given me an idea with the lightning bugs. I'd never thought to try to get one in flight. But with my powerful flash, I should be able to get a pretty decent shot.

Tom

Mary said...

Tom: Go for it! You will do it right. I'm one of those who don't know how to set all that stuff on my camera to stop the motion and have enough light. I was surprised that I even managed the one that I got. They start lighting up pretty early in the evening. It wasn't even dark when I was trying this.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What really cool captures you made here.

abb said...

That "awkward" birdy is just the best! It'd make a great "get well" card, me thinks.

Rose said...

Great capture of the firefly! Lovely little hummingbirds and that sparrow is darling.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Love your hummers... We have some now here too FINALLY. They came later this year than ever before. I still haven't gotten a picture yet... Hopefully I will soon.

I laughed at the Titmouse --and the way he was sitting. Cute!!!!!

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Richard Lawry said...

I don't know why but we haven't had any hummingbirds at our place this year. We have had quite a few in the past.

An Arkies Musings

Jenny said...

Great to see your hummers again Mary. I really wish we had something like that over here! That baby sparrow is hard to resist. (-: What is a lightning bug? Do they glow in the dark?

Mary said...

Tom: Thanks!

Annie: he seemed to be going in all directions at once :-)

Rose: I will have to try again with the lightening bug...don't really know how to go about it is the problem.

Betsy: The hummers seem to get later every year.

Richies: I've only seen 2 or 3 so far. Much later coming.

Jenny: Lightening bugs are also called Fireflies. Do you have those? The tail "lights up" at night as they move around like little flying lights in the garden.

George said...

You've gotten some wonderful pictures. I've never thought of trying to catch a lightning bug with a camera. I'd like to give it a try, but I doubt I could do as well as you did. Our hummingbirds have suddenly shown up as well. It's great to have them back.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Awkward,about describes the birds position.Whatever works,I guess.I like the lightening bug photo.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

I only have 1 pair of hummers. Love your shots of the Titmice too. I have 3 and they stay all day.
It's late and lets hope the Skunks don't come around tonight.
B.

Mary said...

George: Give it a try! I'm hoping someone will take a much better one. They hover rather slowly, so you get time to focus. It is the movement and the low light conditions that are tough for me to figure out.

Ruth: Thanks...it was fun to try it.

Becky: My titmice have suddenly come back along with a lot of other birds that I had not been seeing.

CountryDreaming said...

Love the female hummer gazing off thoughtfully into the distance ... super poetic. Also love the charming hungry baby sparrow ... poor dear! Awesome shots!

Anonymous said...

Mary..I would love to have your for Nature Notes meme if you'd like. It's a weekly meme that I put up on Thursdays..I love the hummer and titmouse photos. I have had the ruby-throats since May here, but I have a hard time getting a decent shot. I see the house sparrows are busy on their second brood. The babies are really cute, but I have mixed feelings about the adults... Michelle from ramblingwoods.

Mary said...

Country Dreaming: Thank you! I like seeing the hummers sit in the tree. Sometimes it is more interesting then when they hover.

Mapleview:Michelle...I get so behind on all the blogs now, that I'm afraid to try any more memes. I've dropped all but Skywatch for lack of time. Thank you for asking!