Still dry and dreary here, but I try to find something to post occasionally so you won't think I have quilt blogging :-)
I think the most popular place at my feeders is the suet block. I use a type of suet that is crumbly and dough like, so it doesn't melt in the heat. All the birds love it. This little downy was busy eating it the other day when I looked out.
"Keep putting lots of this out here!"
This Titmouse also wanted the suet and kept chasing the Downy away to get his turn! I have at least three blocks out there, so I don't know why this one is the most popular. I was surprised that the Downy let the Titmouse chase it off. Very aggressive Titmouse :-) I think he must be really hungry in this horrible summer we are having. There are lots of seeds out there for him at my feeders, too.
**********************
And......finished at last!
I finally finished my nature crazy quilt. Here are photos of the two halves so you can see the stitching a bit better. If I ever get it hanging on a wall, I will try to get good individual photos of the blocks. You can read more about it on my quilt blog, if you are interested.
11 comments:
Hi Mary...Your quilt is just delightful with all the wildlife and flowers, what a great work!!
Still hot huh..it has been pretty nasty here..I hate humidity, and I don't have AC!!
I am surprised your suet doesn't melt, but it looks like it may get eaten up pretty fast!!
I haven't put any out for that reason,well and of course the raccoon! BUGGERS!!
Grace
The quilt is lovely.Do you make that suet yourself and if so what is the recipe? I don't put suet out in summer because it just melts.
that quilt is astounding. i simply love the detail and that it has a nature based theme. those birds are sweet. i can't believe they're fighting over the suet when there's plenty to go round. hope all is well. have a great day~
Beautiful work Mary on the quilt.
Thanks everyone!
Grace and Ruth: I sent you emails about the suet I use. C&S brand...any with "dough" in the title. They aren't greasy like most suet and don't melt.
Oh Mary, I 'heart' your quilt... I want one.. I'll pay big bucks if you make me one just like it---well, maybe without the squirrel.... ha ha
My suet is the melting kind ---but it only melts when the temp gets up to the high 90's--or over 100.... That has only happened here for a few days in June. Hope it doesn't happen again!!!! I have yet to find the dough kind here in my little town.
Stay COOL... Hope you are getting some rain now.
Hugs,
Betsy
Your wildlife quilt is a veritable work of art and labo(u)r of love! Spectacular ... and so unusual, too. Thank you for sharing the photos.
Your quilt is so "you"--about the things you love and enjoy. I love it. All the detail and planning you must have put into it has really paid off. The appliques of the birds and animals are so life-like.
We have finally gotten some rain, and it is a little cooler. It was so nice to open some doors and windows and let some cool, fresh air in this morning. Hope you get some rain and a cool down soon. I feel so sorry for my daughter in St. Louis. They have had so many days over 100 degrees this year.
I try to keep suet out too, but the Grackle family won't leave much for the smaller guys.
Once again, I love all the bright colors in your quilt, and of course all the "critters"
I am still loving your quilt...just so beautiful!
My suet blocks seem to be the favorites here too, but also the finches love the thistle feeders! Once again, I am delighted with your beautiful quilt and so happy you finished it. Maybe you guys can come this way in mid to late April....it's honestly not overly hot then and you would definitely see Palo Verdes and blooming cactus.
Post a Comment