Thursday, July 12, 2012

Around the house....

I walked around the yard the other day and I found a few little bright spots in the otherwise dead and dreary landscape.
 This Window Skimmer male was buzzing around the front steps and posed for me on a dead flower stalk.


 I liked this little Sunflower head that hasn't opened up yet.  I am going to take photos as it opens.....I hope.
 Maybe I can convince you that I have a beautiful garden of flowers if I take a photo of this one lone Sweet William in a pot by the front door :-)
 One Thistle plant is growing in the Black-eyed Susans. I always seem to have just one.  You would think with all the seeds they have, that more than one would grow.  
 Again....I'm going to photograph it at each stage that it opens and grows.
Cropping makes this lily look big, but it is actually very small....the last bud to open on the stalk and only a few inches in length.
 The Goldfinches look for any volunteer sunflowers that can find in my yard.  This female is trying to figure out how to get to the drooping head where the seeds are.
 "Well, it isn't easy!....you try it!"
 Down....down....down.....
The bright male Goldfinch having a drink.

15 comments:

Janice K said...

It's funny, early this spring a saw more butterflies than usual, but now I haven't seen many butterflies or dragonflies around our yard. The one thing nice is we haven't had those pesky misquitoes around this summer. Of course, if it rains, I am sure they would be happy to come back.

Have a happy day!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I LOVE that sunflower bud. I enlarged it to have a better look. All those little hairs are amazing and you captured it so well. All the other pictures are wonderful too. You have an amazing ability to capture the dragonflies.

Rose said...

Don't you wish you could do a half the stuff these birds can do...so strong to hang upside down..

If we didn't water our flowers and garden, they would all be dead. At least the new ones and the garden. If we are late watering them, they are really drooping.

Last year I had lots and lots of volunteer sunflowers and this year only a couple.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...Hot and dry is it there?
My sister moved to Alabama in June..they hadn't had rain in a long time..they have rain now ,so I send her to you ; }!
I do love the Skimmers and nice photo of this one!
I love the thistle flower too and let them grow, because I know the Goldfinch loves them..I now have them in my lawn ..ouch!!Be careful what you wish for : }!
Aren't the Goldfinch a delight in the Garden,and sing so happily!!
Your garden is gorgeous ; }
Grace

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I haven't looked in for a while Mary but your photos are as wonderful as always. A x

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful captures! Love the goldfinches!

Dorothy said...

Neat pictures of your flowers and birds! I meant to plant sunflowers but didn't remember to do it when the time was right.
We finally got a little over 1/2 inch of rain!!!

Cicero Sings said...

What a great picture of that dragon ... so clear! And that lovely sunflower! I've ordered a new point and shoot with Airmile points ... hope it is a good one. It has a x20 zoom!

Naquillity said...

great photos Mary~ i look forward to seeing the sunflower pictures as it continues to fully bloom. that finch seems content trying to figure out how to get to the sunflower.

your butterfly & dragonfly pictures are perfect. and your cat does look cooler. hope all is well. have a great night~

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great pictures, Mary... I don't know why we don't have volunteer sunflowers in our yard --since I serve so many sunflower seeds to the birds.... Guess the night critters eat all of the spillage.....

Love the Goldfinch... So pretty.
Hugs,
Betsy

Roy said...

Brilliant Dragon shots Mary and those Goldfinch are very colourful.

wildaboutwales said...

we could do with some of your sun, a few less spear thistles not much in the way of butterflies dragons or damsels. but we are inundated with six-spoted burnets, soldier beetles and skippers. and fungi. I am off to the circus at 4.30 fulfil one of my childhood dreams. will put some shots on later this afternoon when I get back.is been rain rain storms showerers and more rain over the past fortnight , but alas according to the weather people we are about to get a summer. whoopee.

John T. said...

Loved your photos, especially the first dragonfly image.

Becky said...

So many goodies around the house. All you have to do is look. Wonderful post Mary.

A Colorful World said...

Gorgeous! Between this post and the last one, I just LOVE the spicebush swallowtail pictures and the dragonfly pictures. Really sharp and beautiful shots!