So, what do stupid people do when it is hot and humid outside???......go on a road trip and picnic and try to hike through the rocks of southern Illinois. We were so tired of sitting at home watching the temperatures rise and the grass dry out from the lack of rain, that we thought we would drive over to southern Illinois and see if it was any greener over there. Garden of the Gods is a beautiful place to go, located in the Shawnee National Forest. The rock formations are stunning to look at and the scenery beautiful.
The most famous sight at Garden of the Gods is "Camel Rock". We had a nice view of it.
Thankfully, no one was climbing on it yesterday. Many people do and some have fallen to their death.
I saw two lizards......just about all the life I did see.
This one sat still for me pointing the way with his tail.
Moss on the rocks
They must be getting a little rain there because there were a few puddles in the shallow holes in the rocks.
Rock and tree fighting for space. Both seem to be winning at the moment.
The rocks scattered throughout this area are really interesting to see. Makes you wonder about what was happening here millions of years ago.
A flat platform rock.
Rocks among the trees
It is a very beautiful place to walk around.....but not in high heat and humidity. I felt like I had a blanket over my head the whole time and was thankful for the nice benches they had along the way. We didn't hike very far this day, but have hiked the area before.
It almost seemed like fall weather with all the dead leaves down already. This area is gorgeous in the fall when the leaves turn colors.
One bent tree struggling to find a place in the rocks.
It was a beautiful cloud day! We even got a tiny sprinkle of rain for about half a minute.
The road home......straight as an arrow and flat once we were out of the forest.
One quilt square we saw along the way, but not an attractive barn to put it on.
13 comments:
Thanks for taking us along. When you said Garden of the Gods I thought you had gone to Colorado. There is a place of that name outside Colorado Springs, likewise a lot of fascinating rock formations.
This is the one place I have been wanting to go to for years and still not made it. Maybe when it cools down...I so want to see it.
Katney: I bet there are several Garden of the Gods scattered around our country :-) This one is very nice, but it was just too hot to walk around very far.
Rose: When you decide to go let us know and we could go together or meet there. It is a great area with other places of interest, too.
Hi Mary..Looks like it would be cool and refreshing, to bad it wasn't!!
It is beautiful there..the rock formations are great ,especially like the rock,and tree butted together..amazing!!
I wonder what will happen to the three tree parts with the rock in the center : }!
Lizards like the heat don't they?? All the smart ; } creatures where laying low somewhere!!
So your pretty hot there too.. finally today here there is no humility.. at least it's tolerable!!!
Hope you get some relief soon 1
Grace
When you said Garden of the Gods I too thought you meant Colorado, but the one in Illinois looks like it could be a nice place to visit.
We finally had some really nice rain this morning and so far it is only in the 70's, I wish it would last for a while.
This does look like a great place to visit,on a cooler day. Heat and i do not get along well.
What a gorgeous place... I'd love to see it in the FALL... We don't get out and do much hiking in the summer... However, we are headed to Arkansas in August ---so not sure what we'll find there --due to their heat and drought...
Hugs,
Betsy
My eye was immediately caught by that wonderful bandit raccoon on your quilt! Absolutely love him!
Looks like you had a good expedition, Mary, despite the heat. We have had nothing but cool temps, grey cloud and rain for weeks. I'm longing for a bright sunburst!
I know about the Garen of the Gods in colorado Springs. I have enver heard about this one! It looks just as beautiful and impressive but in a differnt way. I love the shots of the tree and rock that have grown together.
I love rocks, and there are so many interesting ones there. Thanks for sharing. Love the camel rock.
LOL....next time I go to the Garden of the Gods, I will have to make sure I put ILLINOIS in big letters :-) I'm so used to this Garden of the Gods, that I never even though about there being another one.
Caroline: I finished the nature crazy quilt top today and got it all sewn together. Just have to figure out how to quilt it. Will do an update in my other blog when I get some decent photos.
Love the shots of the trees and rocks! Very interesting!
What a great place to see! I know it was hot, but it sure looks like a wonderful daytrip for you guys! Wow! The rock formations are really incredible!
Post a Comment