Monday, May 10, 2010

Turtles and frogs, mostly....

I'm way behind on photos. These are from early last week. Our last trip to the wetlands was a good day for watching turtles and frogs. I love this little guy! He's the "silver dollar" size :-)

Not sure if this is the same one or a different one, but the same size.

Big turtles, too.

Turtles seem to rest in some of the strangest positions.

I just liked the green all around this one.

Tiny frog number 1.

Big frog sitting in the shallow water. Normally they hop away, if I come near.
Mike kept telling me there was a little frog on this log out in the water, and I couldn't see it, so I took a photo anyway. Sure enough...there it is! His distance vision is so much better than mine!

Lots of minnows in the shallow water at the edge of the creek.
This Red-Eared Slider was swimming back and forth and didn't seem to mind us watching him. The red ear sure makes it easy to spot him when he is covered in duckweed.
Coming towards us. In a few more weeks the entire surface of the wetlands will be covered in duckweed making it hard to see anything in the water very well.
Another turtle swimming around.
A big Snapper was swimming right below where we were watching, too!
The Prothonotary Warblers are still nest building. We watched this one that landed on the boardwalk in front of us choosing just the right sticks and pine needles.
It was very picky about which ones it wanted....picked them up....put them back down...tried another.
Maybe this one is the right one. I like the way it is standing :-)
Hope to go check on them again today.

13 comments:

Tony nile life said...

Nice one again. the silver dollar is a different one notice the shell mark under the Green leaf on the rear,

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Interesting series.It seems you are always finding new and fun things to photograph.Thanks.
Blessings,Ruth

Jenn Jilks said...

Great shots!!!

grammie g said...

I like the 2nd picture-- looks so relaxed all streched out enjoying the sun!!!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Gosh but you do have a lot of different ones there Mary. That one does look like a silver dollar. :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful Mary... I love the turtle and frog pictures.. AND your header with the butterfly is gorgeous!!!

Have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

You certainly got some wonderful pictures at the wetlands. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Mike said...

Turtles look cool Mary, nice set of shots.

Leedra said...

I love to watch the turtles, when they let us get close enough. Such much of the time they go under when they hear us approaching. I really like the first photo.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun blog


Heirloom Goods website for photography and knit


Photography By Leedra blog

Mary said...

Thanks everyone.

Becky said...

Lots more turtles. Those little ones look just like the ones I used to get at the store as a child.
B.

CountryDreaming said...

Love how the Prothonotary Warbler came right out into the open!

Mary said...

CountryDreaming: I thought it was cool, too and we tried to not spook it while I took photos.