Friday, May 7, 2010

The quest for "small flying things"......

It's that time of year when you don't know whether to have the camera set for "close-ups" or for distance. One minute you are trying to capture a bird and the next it is one of the "small flying things" that catch our attention. Over the last few days I have had a lot of encounters with dragonflies, damselflies, butterflies, skippers, moths, bugs. I'm lumping them all together in one post.At Hartman arboretum, I spotted my first Clearwing Hummingbird Moth of the year. I always get excited when I see them....so unusual.
It seemed to like these purple flowers.


Silver-Spotted Skipper from the open position.

The side view with the "white elephant" spot, as we call it.

Blue Dasher male
I have no idea on the name of these two, but they were busy at the edge of the pond.
I really don't know damselfly names and didn't even look it up.
Comma or Question Mark
Green metallic bug (Six Spotted Tiger Beetle)......I saw them in two different places.
Common Whitetail male
Eastern Pondhawk male
Red Admiral
Red-Spotted Purple Admiral

Same butterfly open.....it wouldn't let me get behind it for a better shot.
Don't know this one
Not sure
American Snout.
I remember when I first saw these last year and how strange I thought it looked. I have better photos from last year and will put one on the sidebar.
On a more serious note. These purple traps are hanging in various places around our area. What are they? They are trying to find out if we have the dreaded Emerald Ash Borers in the area yet. This trap was in the conservation area where we go in Henderson, but we have them around Evansville, too.

The first time I've seen a sign with one....explaining and asking people to leave it alone.
We saw one on the grass in a park yesterday.
Someone couldn't resist knocking it down.
Since I have a beautiful ash tree in my yard, I hope they don't find evidence of the borers.....but it doesn't look promising when you look at maps of where they are.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh Hummingbird Moths I so envy everyone who has them around. Why these fantastic creatures never visit me? *sigh*
Your other "small flying things" are beautiful too - such a variety of them.

The Birdlady said...

Hi Mary - I've been missing you and your photos -maybe I'm back...??

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

There is no need to tell you you how much I enjoyed this post is there Mary? :) Brilliant!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

These are excellent pictures.I like to capture the dragon and damsel flies too,but have difficulty with them.As far as ID goes,forget it,I'm hopeless in this area.Great pictures,I really enjoyed my walk with you.
Blessings,Ruth

ilovepink1078 said...

the color is so refreshing and full of life.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Congrats on all the activity. The critters are not really active here as of yet. I had a pondhawk land on my porch yesterday.

Kerri Farley said...

You got some FABULOUS FLIERS! I LOVE that hummingbird moth! I have only seen one this year and didn't get a good shot of it.

LOVE those dragons too!!
Wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

Our dragons are not out yet. :(

Love you bugs!

Becky said...

Just like a beautiful walk on a summer day. How refreshing Mary.
Keep em coming!
b.

Tom Arbour said...

Hi Mary, you've been seeing lots of great things!

The mating wheel of damsels look to be fragile forktails- check out the males abdomen, you should see two little exclamation points. The other unknown dragon is a female blue dasher. And as far as EAB goes, you can treat individual trees- if you'd like to save yours, I'd contact an arborist now. We've had dozens of ash trees that were planted as street trees in our neighborhood die completely from EAB. They've all been cut down now.

Tom

Mary said...

Tom: Thanks for all the information!