Went to the wetlands yesterday and as usual saw something interesting.
This snapping turtle was on a high bank by the creek....just sitting there. Until I looked at the photos on the computer I didn't realize it seems to be over a hole. Is it laying eggs??
I've never seen a turtle lay eggs before, so if it was, I didn't know it at the time but wondered. It didn't move the whole time we were there. I know where the spot is located and will go back.
Look at that face.
Such concentration! And what is that on the shell? I always seem to have more questions than answers!
I loved this turtle! We couldn't see what it was propped up on, but it sure looked strange sitting like that! On the computer, I can see that it looks like it is propped on a knob on a log.
And neither Mike or I saw the little turtle until we got home! What a cute pair! You can click to make any of these photos larger.
Two different kinds.....Slider and Painted?
This must be a bumper year for honeysuckle! Everywhere we went today there are huge vines of honeysuckle encroaching on everything! We have a mass of it along our own creek. When I step outside at night, I can really smell it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Mary- yes, I agree with you that she is in the process of building a nest and or laying eggs, and that thing on her shell looks to me like a big leech!
That little turtle is the cutest.By the looks of the first one,there will be more little turtles to come.
Blessings,Ruth
Great pictures of the turtles and wildflowers, Mary. Maybe that turtle is sitting on its eggs???? Since it didn't move, that makes me wonder...
Love the one who looks like he is jumping out of the water.... I guess there is a log or something there for him to sit on ---but at first glance, it look like he is
'flying' out !!! ha
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy
Tom: I thought that looked like a leech,but didn't know why one would want to be on a turtle shell..sort of like leeching a rock.
Cool about the egg laying! Will have to go back. I guess we should have stuck around, but it was not moving visibly and I didn't want to get too close, with it being a snapper.
Ruth: Not sure how I feel about lots of little snappers!
Betsy: It does look like it is ready to take off :-)
Hi Mary,
Those growths on the leaves are galls, caused by certain types of insects, depending on the plant. Enter "plant galls" into your search engine and you'll come up with some interesting reading.
Cicero: Thanks...I knew they were some sort of parasite, but didn't know exactly what. I actually picked one apart to look at it :-) This particular type look so strange, because they look like flower buds rather than some sort of insect problem! I wonder if birds eat them?
I think your propped up turtle looks like a boat that ran ashore :} :}!! The Bearded Tongue plant is pretty so delicate!! It would be interesting to see if the snapper was laying eggs!! I saw one dig a hole in the sand right on the edge of the road near the river and layed her eggs!!!
Love these photos! Great shots of the snapper. I totally agree with you about the honeysuckle. The smell is really strong here too. I haven't been able to get out much recently at all. But last night my husband told me there was a toad in the front yard, so I went out for a few minutes with my mask on to get some photos of him. And even through my mask the smell of honeysuckle was so strong! There is no honeysuckle within sight of our house, but it is just really thick in the air right now.
Excellant turtle shots Mary. I think that is a blood sucker on the shell? ?
What great detail.
Those honeysuckle shrubs are all over here too. It must be a good year for them. I found a yellow version yesterday.
B.
Oh WOW Mary!! WHat a great thing to find and capture. You should find out how long it takes for them to hatch and go back there then. :)
Grammie G: Isn't it great when we get a little glimpse of how different creatures live?
Debbie: Everywhere we drive we see honeysuckle winding its way up trees, bushes, wires, etc. It does smell heavnely. Hope you feel better soon!
Becky: Yep, that'a a leech. Most of the honeysuckle I see is a mixture of yellow and white. I hate how it winds itself on all the bushes and chokes them.
Joan: I looked that up...9 weeks or more and in northern climates they may go over the winter! I think it will be hard to watch for them :-)
If there was a way to control honeysuckle, I would have to have some here. I love the smell...and it immediately takes me home.
Mary: Neat look at the Snapper at work with the eggs, loved the little one and the turtle filled log.
Post a Comment