Mike and I decided to leave town for a couple of days and go over to southeastern Indiana. In particular to the Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge and Clifty Falls and whatever else looked interesting in the area. Rain, off and on, was predicted, but we decided to go anyway. We had some gloomy skies, but mostly we were chasing the rain.
I was hoping to see lots of interesting birds, but I always seem to find something different than what I'm looking for. The three things that I saw the most of were butterflies, vultures, and baby Canada geese! That's OK....I like all three!
I'll start with butterflies!
We saw a lot of butterfly activity on the gravel roads and parking lots, which were very wet and muddy and full of minerals the butterflies like. Here are two Red-Spotted Purple Admirals.
Their color looks slightly different here.
A yellow Tiger Swallowtail.
This was an interesting group! Note the difference in the two yellow ones. I have a shot of the lighter one below further.
How about three?
Here is that light one.
We saw dozens of Red Admiral butterflies everywhere we went! This is my only shot with the wings almost closed. These little things were all over the roads. I counted about 10 on one road leading into a parking lot.
An open shot of the Red Admiral. I actually got to where I was saying, "Oh, it's just another Red Admiral"......that is how often and how many we saw!
Here is a shot with two. I had another shot with 6 lined along the edge of the road, but they are smallish and it mostly looked like a shot of the road :-)
I'm not very good at identifying butterflies.....either Pipevine or Spicebush Swallowtails.
Pearl Crescent?
A very small blue, I believe. I never see them with their wings open!
Another Red Admiral checking out my tire while I was taking photos.
OK....this is gross....but this pile of animal "poop" was attracting the Red Admirals like crazy as you can see! I think there are 8 butterflies of two types of Admirals on it. Yuck.
A pretty little Skipper....don't know which one.
Don't know.....not a very good shot....Black Swallowtail?
Question Mark.....it's mark is pretty obvious in this closed shot.
Don't know one white butterfly from another.
I saw other butterflies, but wasn't always quick enough to get a photo.
OK....enough for day #1 and butterflies. I'm still sorting and cropping and trying to figure out how to arrange all the stuff we saw. Probably in groups like this rather than my usual chronological walk posting. Too confusing to do it that way.
13 comments:
Well Mary life is not all about smelling roses, nature has its own way of knowing what is good.
must say though! People always think of butterflies and nectar, bees and nectar, so I wonder now if folks can leave poops in the city parks to attract the wildlife,
nah, they prefer the office smelling of roses. not of poop they drag in on their shoes,
WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! Nothing I can add to those three words....
Now these are butterflies, the larger ones at the beginning of the post i am very jealous of :) the red admiral and skipper are similar to ours, but those 1st ones are amazing. Mike.
Beautiful photos. I always wondered why butterflies liked the roads so much. I wondered what they were eating.
An Arkies Musings
Tony: I think I will try to think of the butterflies on the flowers rather than this, but it sure attracted them!
Joan: I hated to have Mike drive down the roads with all the butterflies. We did see dead ones, but since the speed limit is low, most get out of the way.
Mike: These particular larger butterflies are all fairly common in this area. I think I saw a Zebra Swallowtail, but it was just flying back and forth like butterflies do and would not land anywhere close.
Richies: Apparently there are salts and minerals in the mud and gravel that they like. They have "puddle parties" at times like this.
I give you credit for having the patience to photograph butterflies, let alone ID them. I've only gotten one decent butterfly in my life ... neither they nor I can keep still it seems. * lol * Meanwhile ... Wow! You got enough for a beautiful as well as educational post. :-)
What an amazing lot of butterflies you saw ... and were able to capture on camera ... to me an even bigger feat. They always flit away on me when I even get a little bit close.
Wonderful pictures of your butterflies!! You are getting so good with that camera!!!
Excellent shots.Some of these are Butterflies I don't get to see here.
Blessings,Ruth
Hi Mary, Beautiful butterflies... You saw and captured SO many on that trip.
George and I have been to Clifty Falls TWICE. Both times, there was VERY little water coming over any of the waterfalls there.
Hugs,
Betsy
Wonderful shots, Mary...I'll take butterflies any day of the week and be happy!
You have a wonderful variety. I need to be more observant--I am sure we have a few butterflies here.
You certainly found a wide variety of butterflies and got some wonderful captures.
Post a Comment