Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday....(Squirrel or not)

"Hey....I've told you that I don't want to "star" in your blog any more!"
"I've got better things to do....like eat. Go look at some baby birds or flowers or something and leave me alone. I'm not that "Star" squirrel.....he's gone and I'm in charge now.
As Garbo said: "I want to be alone!"
Shoo! I only came out today because it is sort of a 2nd anniversary of this "Squirrel Sunday" thing.
(OK, Star....I mean....well, what is your name?...Grumpy? We'll go away and leave you alone.)
Mrs. Indigo Bunting was MUCH more cooperative! What a pretty little bird you are.

Help yourself.....I wouldn't want the "grumpy" squirrel to get it all.

Flowers, I've got.....many over-grown bushes of flowers! This is the Deutzia by the side of the garage and it needs to be cut back drastically after it finishes blooming!
A close up of the flowers.
The Mock Orange bushes behind the deck are so big they get beat down by their own weight. Guess those will have to be trimmed this year, too. The birds are not going to be happy with me by the time we cut all this stuff back to a managable size!
Mock Orange close-up.

How about "Baby Sparrow Sunday"?
Baby House Sparrows are cute....like all baby birds....but do we really need more House Sparrows????
"Feed me!"
"Where did everybody go? What am I suppose to do now?"
"Is this the right way to eat?"

" I'll just walk up to the front door and ask for food."
Well....enough baby Sparrows. I hope some other babies show up soon!

15 comments:

Arija said...

Mary Dear,
firstly, thank you so much for caring and praying for me ... it all helps. Can you imagine, I lost 30 pounds of water while in hospital! No wonder I could not breathe and cart myself around, let alone my poor heart cope with all that! I am getting stronger by the day and hope the anti-biotics take care of the infection.

Love your fat squirrel and all your birdies but I for one could not bare to chop back those glorious bushes ...
I know they will still flower, but where will all the little birds nest!

Love Arija

Anonymous said...

Your grumpy squirrel is funny! I wonder what will it do if you instead start calling it cute.

Baby sparrows are cute! We have many baby house sparrows here too all asking the adults to feed them.

Mary said...

Arija: I hope you are much better soon! I always hate trimming back the bushes, because the birds love them and I like them big and bushy and not cut into perfect little circles and squares. However...they are way out of control and that is probably not good for the bush either! Pruning will have to be done, but they grow back fast.

Aluajala: My squirrel(s) knows he is cute and he eats up lots of my bird seed, but he doesn't like posing for cute photos :-) Ah, well.

Becky said...

I still love Star even if he doesn't want to be in your Sunday posts!
All your bushes are beautiful. My Mom used to have Mock Orange and I remember all the bees.
I have only seen baby Mourning Doves so far.
B.

Shelley said...

Your grumpy squirrel is cute! So are those tiny sparrow babies - but I agree w/ you - there are so many sparrows around!

Rose said...

Hard to believe that Squirrel Sunday has been happening for two years...just proves the point that time flies when you are having fun.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Congrats on so many Squirrel Sundays, Mary!!!!! But--it looks like Grumpy has taken over for the STAR.... I've got alot of grumpy ones here also.

Even though I don't like House Sparrows, those are cute little babies, aren't they???? I cannot wait to see the baby Cardinals and Bluebirds come to the feeders.

Have a wonderful Sunday.
Hugs,
Betsy

Don Wood said...

I was watching baby blackbirds here in the UK yesterday.We have a declining sparrow population at the moment so dont see as many of the cheeky chaps as we have in the past. XXX Don

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Star is looking mighty full. I love your flowering bush. I watched a sparrow fight yesterday, we'll have to see how the photos turn out.

Linnea said...

Such wonderful shots...all of them!

Philip said...

Mary my one wish is to have a squirrel in my garden they look so cute but they are very rare in Gauteng much more common in the Cape Province.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh grumpy indeed!! You cannot make him the star of our Sundays anymore Mary or else he might just pelt you with his peanuts for taking his pictures. :)

Kerri Farley said...

Love your narrative! That female indigo bunting is LOVELY ~ I wish I had those at my feeder :)

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! I think that I done all I can do with "Squirrel Sunday", unless my squirrel gets a bit more active. Star was a very funny and photogenic squirrel, but these just eat and run.

Phillip: I wish I could send you a few squirrels :-) I love them, actually and don't mind feeding them. We get as many as 8 in the winter, but in the summer they scamper off to new territory and I only have about 3 at the moment that come by regularly.

Keri: The Indigos are pretty....I see the male on the feeder, but haven't had any really good photos of him yet. They only come by at this time of year and then move on.

me ann my camera said...

I vote for G rumpy SZquirrel, he's a good replacement for Star! Ann