Friday, May 7, 2010

SkyWatch Friday......

(Nature post below this one)
It's SkyWatch Friday!
My skies were very blue all week, but the fields are very yellow!Everywhere I go there are seas of yellow plants!
It didn't take much looking on the Internet to find more photos and to find information from Purdue University giving advice to farmers as to what to do about this "weed" that is very prevalent in southern Indiana.
It may be a weed...but it sure makes gorgeous photos!

I liked this old barn sitting there surrounded in yellow.

Crossleaf Groundsel is the main "weed" in these photos and it must really spread judging by the fields that I've seen in the past few weeks.

We saw a couple fields with this yellow flower mixed in as well. Don't know it's name but up close it looks "shiny".....Mike said it looked plastic :-) You would think that all of this would be a butterfly paradise right now. We did find a few flitting around this area.
In the bottomlands by the Ohio River the water is really up as shown by this row of yellow out in the water. Some of these fields won't be plowed for awhile yet and some already have corn in them despite the high water.
That is my SkyWatch post for today.....blue with lots of yellow down below!
For more SkyWatch click on the icon on my sidebar.

19 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Your skies are a lovely blue Mary and we too have yellow fields but here I believe they are of rape (where the rape seed oil comes from). Gorgeous colour. A x

Linnea said...

Yellow and blue go so well together. The yellow flowers seem to find a place to grow everywhere!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Beautiful photos of the yellow flower to show off your blue sky.

Cicero Sings said...

I'm pretty sure those shiny flowers are buttercups.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

It is too bad that beauty like this is something that is undesirable to farmers.At least you got great pictures as a result of a weed.
Blessings,Ruth

Leedra said...

The barn surrounded by the yellow is beautiful.

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE those fields of yellow ~~ that would be my "field of dreams". So pretty!

DeniseinVA said...

Beautiful fields of yellow Mary. I was particularly taken with the line of them in the water. Lovely series of photos. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mary! Wow!

George said...

We have many yellow fields like these here in Tennessee as well. But I agree that they make for some beautiful pictures.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh my but that is pretty!! Looks like one could lay in the middle of all that and just look up at the sky.

abb said...

Except for the flood waters, it's all lovely! I thought those were mustard flowers.

eileeninmd said...

Lovely shots of the yellow flowers and the pretty sky! Happy skywatching!

Mary said...

Thank you everyone!

Kristin said...

Those yellow flowers are blooming so beautifully. Love it very much. Very vibrant and colourful. Great mark of spring. Nice sunny weather.

Becky said...

My goodness they are everywhere. I can't say I've ever seen this flower, but they do make for a good backdrop.
B.

Patrinas Pencil said...

I love the yellow too, Mary... beautiful

Rose said...

I LOVE that 3rd and 5th photo!

CountryDreaming said...

Think I've seen these pretty yellow wildflowers too. Very nice!