Thursday, May 20, 2010

Part 6: Clifty Falls and Rising Sun....

I'm trying to wrap up the last of my photos today and tomorrow.
Clifty Falls is hard to see at this time of year with all the green trees, but it is still very pretty. A couple shots from the overlook area.


A close-up of the water rushing over. We did not hike to the bottom.

Not a great photo, but I thought Tony might like seeing the stone wall along the overlook area. Hasn't changed a lot since Mike was here as a kid.
The rest of these are just things that caught my eye along the path.

I love this little flower....even with a Daddy Long Legs on it.

Big mushroom
Tiny flowers on an outcrop of rock.
Tiny fungi on a branch


This huge dragonfly(?) was up in the roof at the visitor's center at Muscatatuck. I've never seen one this big. I bet it was at least 5" long.
Iris somewhere....at our motel, maybe?


I love this birdhouse that we saw in Rising Sun.
The Busching Bridge....somewhere along the way. We saw another bridge later that is identical.


Rising Sun at the riverfront. They have a casino gambling boat there. I just liked this sign and the weird statue that doesn't show up very well.
Tomorrow a few more shots of mostly buildings and I will be done!

12 comments:

CountryDreaming said...

Clifty Falls is a really neat place. You captured the atmosphere of the greenery just fabulously! Love the small wildflowers, tall waterfall, and stone wall.

Philip said...

Nice post Mary I have always wondered were the saying " Daddy long legs" came from and yes I agree stunning Bird house :)

Tony nile life said...

Nice post and such a variety of subjects the wall! its a mish mash of dry wall and mortar not seen a wall with coping like that . usually it is one big stone and a small one the uk have names like (cock and hen) (lamb and sheep) (mr and mrs), in wales around the slate quarries the copings are made from slate what they called architectural waste, meaning slate with a floor in it that could not be used as roofing slate.
I also love them boxed bridges,
could never see a reason for them unless it was something to do with the horses not liking to cross over a bridge seeing the drop into the open river,
I read the Romans never built long straight roads because of the horses,

Rose said...

I love that bridge...and like that Rising Sun...Oh! I love your header photo.

Mary said...

CountryDreaming: That whole area of southern Indiana is similar to southern Ohio and both are lovely places.

Philip: I don't know the origin, but what we call Daddy Long Legs are actually Harvestmen...not spiders. There was a musical called "Daddy Long Legs" starring Fred Astaire...very appropriate for his long legs and the story involved.

Tony: I know this isn't as fancy as the Welsh walls...I saw a lot of those when we were up in the Snowdonia area back in 1990. The morter is necessary, I'm sure due to it being in a tourist area with lots of people leaning on it and looking over it to the gorge below. There is a great drop there!

Kathie Brown said...

What a nice walk through the woods. Love the covered bridge!

Anonymous said...

A "stone" wall Mary, just like England.

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, I had a lot to catch up on here! I LOVE the dovetailed building in the last post. Specially as Chris uses dovetails alot in his work! Also love the two fungi in this last post. Such contrast! I wanted to make the same comment as Roy about your stone wall, very British looking! (-: Looks like you had a fabulous trip.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

That water falls is gorgeous.I also enjoyed all the wild flowers and the Irises.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, That's MORE water than we saw on both occasions when we visited Clifty Falls. We'll just have to go back!!!! I remember that rock wall...

You saw so many interesting things. Thanks so much for taking us on your trip with you. I LOVE those covered bridges too.
Hugs,
Betsy

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

This is a place I could spend hour in Mary. It is very beautiful there by the waterfall. That is an unusual looking mushroom and I love the irises!!

Becky said...

Love waterfalls. This is so cool!
That mushroom is the weirdest I've ever seen.
Cute little flowers too.
I need to plant some Iris. I always forget, and there are so many colors.
B.