Monday, May 17, 2010

Part 3: Baby Geese, baby ducks.....

Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge, near Seymour, IN has lots of water areas. We spent part of two days circling around the roads looking at anything that showed up. It is a really beautiful place.
We saw LOTS of baby Canada geese! Fortunately, I don't get tired of them. Taking the family out for a swim.
Hmmm...I don't think that Dad likes us!

This little guy has "attitude" already....must be a male.

Still sitting on a nest out in the middle of the lake on a little island.

"Let's go right down the middle of the road for a change"

"When I give the signal......everyone head out single file!"

So soft looking :-)
This group couldn't make up their mind. They got almost all the way to the rail on that side and then turned around and went back to the other side!

I guess the lake is better on this side. Line up and don't wander off!
Cruising.
Across the field to who knows where. Geese seem to spend a lot of time going to and fro.
From our motel in Madison, I could watch the geese on the green by the Ohio River late in the afternoon. What a huge family that one is.....15-16 babies!
Walking the edge of the river.

I wish that Wood Ducks were as easy to photograph as Canada Geese!
Mike spotted this mother with her rather large brood heading across the lake to hide in the water plants. Another large family!
The next morning we found another mother Wood Duck with a smaller brood and a couple of turtles to keep them company. You can click the photos to see them larger, but they won't look any better, unfortunately.
This was as close as I could get to them.
I would love to have seen them better, but I did watch them some with the binoculars.
Obviously, Muscatatuck is a good place to raise a family if you are a Wood Duck or a Canada Goose!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice set of photos must have been great watching them, if you have never held a baby goose or duck Mary you do not no what you are missing, sooo cuddly.
but of course do not attempt to catch one in the wild its parent will attack, they are so protective of their young, like all birds are.

Kelly said...

...you made it to Muscatatuck!!!! I love it there and want to go back. I think they are noted for their breeding Wood Ducks. I remember reading that somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos Mary and its lovely to see these new arrivals.

grammie g said...

What can I say; there is nothing like a mother with her young!!! I love the highway shots !! The goslings look like teenagers on the verge of doing there own thing!! Very nice series Mary; always love your comments under your photos!!! Have a great week. :}

Mary said...

Tony: Canada geese are very mean if you get near their babies or their nest!

Kelly: It was a wonderful place. I want to go back, too.

Roy: Thanks!

Grammie G: They are fun to watch and the parents always look so patient.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I dont see how anyone can get tired of seeing these little babies. They are so cute. It is always a joy wehn spring comes around and the next crop of them appear.

abb said...

That's one busy wood duck mama! I think I count 13 babies.

Leedra said...

The babies are ssssoooooooo very cute! Really enjoyed this post.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Baby goslings and ducklings are so cute.I am with you in that I don't easily tire of the more abundant birds like Geese or Robins.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

How neat, Mary.... I love seeing all of the baby geese... They are just so precious.

Thanks for sharing.... Can't wait to see your pictures from Clifty Falls.
Hugs,
Betsy

Becky said...

I never get tired of looking at geese and their babies. How lucky they stayed around for you.
B.

me ann my camera said...

babies so soon, how sweet they all are.
Ann