I had so many photos this last week that I've gotten way behind. Will try to post a few odds and ends today. We are leaving town for a couple of days, so I may or may not be posting tomorrow.
There has been so much activity at the suet that I can't keep suet cakes for more than one day! You can see these two House Sparrows trying to get some along with the Downy. The downys have been very territorial and chase each other away.
I don't get a lot of photos of the White-Breasted Nuthatch, so here are a few. The birds have all been looking rather wet and bedraggled.....not their usual pristine selves.
The classic Nuthatch curve.

Got a nice chunk of suet!
I've always liked that colorful area under the tail, so I'm glad he decided to show it here.
The neighbor's pine trees are loaded with flowers and pollen is everywhere!
Ah-choo!
A couple of the Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks
What a difference in this perfect male and the one above!
This was a nice surprise! A White-Crowned Sparrow! I haven't seen one for at least a year.
I was on the phone and trying to take these photos with one hand......
....spotted this slug on the water fountain about the same time. It is hard to tell someone you are talking to on the phone, "I've got to hang up now....I want to take photos of a slug!" I just don't think most people I know would understand that....especially when they call long-distance to wish me a "happy birthday"!
OK....that is as caught up as I will probably get!
13 comments:
Oh wow! White-crowned Sparrows. They have been AWOL for the past two years from our yard. I miss seeing those gorgeous birds in the winter. Love the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks too...I guess we just a bit too suburban for the sweeties, because they are a no show too. Great Catbird capture! (I'm way behind on my posts too with tons of photos to put together....)
I know the feeling of being on the phone and not being able to get that perfect shot.Yes,most people would not understand,I sure would.Great assortment of birds,each one lovely in its own way.
Have a great day.
Blessings,Ruth
Really good images of the Nuthatch Mary.
Oh Wow----love that White-crowned Sparrow. I've never seen one. What a gorgeous bird.
I think our Grosbeaks are gone--although Jayne in GA had one this week--and that is south of us... Hope we see some more soon.
Yes---we have lots of pollen also!!!!! Sneeze sneeze!!!! ha
Have a good trip. Are you doing a quilting thing?
Hugs,
Betsy
You think the slug ws going to go so fast he would be gone before the song was over? LOL. I'm glad we don't have slugs here.
You got some wonderful pictures of a wide variety of birds. Even the picture of the slug is good!
You always attract quite a good number of different birds. There's always something interesting going on at your feeder!
P.S. Just had a nice time catching up on reading and commenting on a bunch of your other posts too. Real life has kept me away from blogging. Hope to be around more!
Pine pollen...a sworn enemy of mine!
Wish I could take as good a bird photos as you do!
Have a blast on your jaunt.
LOL!! I had to laugh at you telling someone you had to hang up in order to take the picture of the snail!! LOL!! They must have thought you mad and whats the bet they dont phone you next year? :)
Great shots as usual Mary!
I had one male Red breasted Grosbeak, but he only stayed one day. They are so pretty.
Have a wonderful time where ever you are going.
B.
Happy belated Birthday wishes to you Mary! (-: It's good to be back in blogging mode. I think your female RB Grosbeak is as lovely as the male, such a striking face pattern and those White-crowned sparrows always seem to look dapper! Hope you have a good few days away.
Thanks everyone for the comments and I will catch up as soon as I can with all of you! We had WiFi everywhere we went the last couple of days, but our laptop is slow and so were some of the connections. Easier to just wait till I was back home. I use the laptop mostly to download photos each day.
Post a Comment