I saw a patch of thistles in the late afternoon, so we stopped for photos.
One very busy bee was enjoying them.
I was fascinated by the different stages and looks.


The bee could really get lost in this thing! I have seldom seen such big fat thistles. This is a different type than what I usually see.
A droopy falling apart one. I bet the Goldfinches are hanging around here.
I guess I should have put the stages of opening in order, but didn't think of it until the photos were loaded :-)

I liked the spiny bracts tipped with purple.
A happy flower :-)
I was going to call this post "The bird, the bee, and the thistle", but the bird photo is so poor, I decided not to draw attention to it!
However....I think this is a life bird for me! I saw it land on the rail facing me and had this impression of yellow breast and the head looked like a flycatcher, with that sort of "crest" look they have. I saw it flying, too and it really looked yellow underneath! My best guess looking in a guide book is a Great Crested Flycatcher....but I'm not sure. Anyone know for sure? By the time I got the camera, it turned its back and I got one poor photo through our glass windows that have moisture in them...sigh! I wish it would come back, whatever it was!
I was going to call this post "The bird, the bee, and the thistle", but the bird photo is so poor, I decided not to draw attention to it!
17 comments:
The photos are so beautiful! And Happy. Does that make sense? They just make me happy to look at them. I think they would make nice desktop images. They look so bright, full of life, and pretty. Loved the series.
The bird? I have no idea for sure. (sorry!) Hopefully one of your other readers will know for sure and post.
Wonderful captures Mary. I wonder if your thistle could be a wild artichoke?
Wow that colour is stunning no wonder the bee is going mad :)
This is wonderful Mary. I love that you have shown us all the stages.
Love these photos Mary, thanks for a great start to my morning.
No guess on the bird,but I do love those thistles.The color is beautiful and for some reason I am drawn to them every time I see them Thanks for sharing these.
Blessings,Ruth
I have never seen thistles like those either -- very beautiful!
You did a real nice job on those thistle (wild artichoke?). I was going to say that one looks so different. But beautiful!
I think you've got the Great Crested right Mary. Good job! Maybe it's a youngin.
Sorry I'm so far behind on my commenting....I just can't seem to keep up anymore!! Must be that darn beautiful southern weather!!
Thanks everyone! It is funny that two of you mentioned artichokes, because that is what I thought it looked like, too!
Thanks Eve, for maybe confirming the bird. I know you posted one not long ago. It was brand new to me, whatever it is. I have trouble getting to everyone's blogs, too, so never feel you have to apologize. I assume we all do this for fun, not to make a chore out of it.
Beautiful color and series of the stages!! I guess they are edible before they flower but I'm not trying it... I jut try to get them out of my gardens and lawn!!!
Gorgeous, gorgeous photos of the thistle! It did look like that bee was smooshing himself as much as possible into it - probably gorging himself - lol!
Love those thistle shots...I wonder if they have started up here.
I love the thistle. It is in bloom here too, but so far I have not photographed any this year. Need to get out and do that before it is too late. Beautiful photograhs.
I've never seen a Thistle like this big fat one. It's gorgeous! I always let the Thistles around here grow, hoping to attract butterflies.
B.
I can't tell what the last bird is... Hope someone else knows...
The Thistle is pretty at different levels of growth... I can tell that the bee enjoys thistles also.
Hugs,
Betsy
Beautiful color and series of the stages
PPC Advertising India
Such a pretty flower - and such a bad one to have.
Post a Comment