House Wren's are very confusing! This one is still sticking sticks into the gourd, even though I think it is the same one that has a nest on the shelf in the garage.
Today it was in and out with sticks for quite a while.
Very entertaining to watch it.
It works so hard.
I could catch it coming out regularly, but harder to get it going in.
Another one sits in the tree and sings or on top of the basketball goal. This gourd is very near the garage door leading to the shelf where the nest is. I don't know if this is just diversionary tactics or if this is a different pair that are actually trying to live in the gourd. I was going to move the gourd, but hate to mess with it while they are using it .....whatever they are using it for!
*********
*********
I saw these pretty wildflowers at Mouteau Park and also somewhere else, but don't know what they are.
Anybody know this one? If I hadn't misplaced my wonderful book of roadside wildflowers by blogger, John Theberge in Maine, I would probably know what it is. His book is lovely...check it out on his site. (NOTE: Becky says Tall Bellflower....thank you!)
I think they are pretty, whatever they are.
This poor ragged Buckeye butterfly was so torn up, I'm surprised it can fly! I've been seeing a lot of torn butterflies. I never seem to find the perfect ones that pose with beautiful wings spread :-)
Except maybe this Sulphur, which was in much better condition.
While looking at the butterflies, I saw this little toad.
There were 3 ducks at the edge of the lake...each a different color. I believe that one on the right is giving me the "evil eye" for disturbing their slumbers. They refused to leave the spot, but I was making them very nervous.
I have the white squirrel for Sunday and more stuff for Monday from a new place.
19 comments:
Great shots of thw wren Mary, I have some pics of butterflies and wildflowers to post myself hope I can get the ID right. Nice post :)
Wonderful shots of the wren Mary. Also love the butterflies.
Good morning Mary, lovely set of photos to wake up to. I am up bright and early today and I am glad I checked in with your blog first thing, a very good way to start off the day, thank you.
Love those Wrens, Mary. Especially their song. There is one pair around our house, and I hear the male singing everywhere, so it's difficult to tell where the nest is. I have a house out there for them, but they chose someplace else I guess.
I consulted my handy dandy Peterson Field Guide to Wildflowers, and I think this beautiful blue flower is a Tall Bellflower.
Hope you are having a wonderful week-end.
B.
I can only imagine how much fun you had getting these shots! They are great!
...that wren in the gourd is adorable!! So cute how he is gathering twigs.
I just love wrens. They are the coolest birds. My mother and father used to grow gourds for them every year.
Mary: That was truly a neat series.
Those Wrens are just practising Mary. {:)
I suspect your wren is building a place for it's second batch of babies for the year. Here in WV the carolina wrens have their first set of babies in one nest, then the 2nd set of babies later on in the same year at a different location. My guess would be that your wren is preparing for it's 2nd set of babies. Great pics!!
Wrens can certainly be entertaining.I like the double cattail.Very unique.
Blessings,Ruth
I took pictures of that flower myself just the other day--and I took some of it last year also. Or at least i think it is the same, but it was much bigger last year.
Of course I love the wrens...I think mine has babies. Do yours stick around after the babies leave? I am wondering if these will stay here or just move on.
That first photo briefly took me aback ... what a long beak/tongue?! Then I realized it was a twig! Egg on Face.
Mike: Will be looking forward to your shots! You haven't posted much lately.
Joan: Thanks! I've got lots of bugs coming up so far this next week.
Becky: Thanks for the help on the flower.
Dorothy: It was fun watching them.
Kelly: He was pretty funny trying to get those twigs in sideways.
Jill: I'm going to hang more gourds this next year.
Tom: Thanks!
Roy: Well, they practice a lot.
Debbie: Well both the Carolina and House Wrens have already had nests in our garage
Ruth: Actually, I see a lot of odd cattails. I wonder what makes them splint while growing?
Rose: My wrens stick around all year, although this was the first year I realized that I have 2 kinds. The Carolina's have always been here.
Cicero: LOL! It does look funny.
Denise: I knew I would miss someone trying to do this long list. Thanks for stopping by and the nice compliment :-)
Here in WV most Carolina Wrens stay the winter, but they say that we loose some to cold spells. The one that lived in our window for many many years, she would have her first set of babies there in the spring, then she'd move off to her 2nd nesting site only occasionally visiting our window again - almost like she was checking on her old place. Then when the weather turned cool she would return to the window nest and she would stay the winter in our window all by herself until she raised her next set of spring babies. She followed this routine for several years. She stayed last winter as well, but moved on this spring, probably because what she was nesting in was falling apart. I'd hoped to do something about that, but I was on bed rest. :( I'm hoping if I can get to doing better or get someone to help me, I can get her a new place to nest and maybe she'll return.
Debbie: That is really interesting! I know that I've had wrens on the one shelf of the garage before, but this year we had two different bunches in the garage at different times. I hope they decide they like the gourd homes better :-) I'll hang several next year. The Chickadee was very successful in the gourd.
It's funny what they will choose to nest in. The one that stayed for years and years in my window, did so in a very tiny gift bag. Yes, a gift bag. Someone had passed out scented candles at my husband's work and I am really allergic so when he asked me "What do I do with this? I hate to throw it away maybe we could give it to someone." I said, "I dunno, sit it in the windowsill for now, I cannot bring it inside." Well, she found it, used her beak to push the smelly candle out onto the ground and the tissue paper that was closest to the scented candle. She kept the outer white tissue paper. The bag was so tiny I don't know how she raised her babies in there, but she did. She wintered every winter in there alone, then her and her mate and at least 4-5 babies each spring. By the time the babies got big there was always little parts of them sticking out of the bag. LOL The bag is falling apart now (I can't believe it lasted as long as it did) and I'm sure that's why she left it this spring. I hope to put something else suitable back in there. It was great fun watching her raise her babies each year, right in front of the window over my kitchen sink! :)
I always wondered where she disappeared to those couple of months right after her first batch of babies left the nest, before she came back for winter, and that is when I read up on them and found out that they say they always leave for a different nesting site for the 2nd set of babies of the year. But I thought it was neat how she always came back to winter there. I am guessing that being close to the window let out some warmth too. I'd have to do some math (and check my photos) to remember exactly how many years she used that gift bag, but off the top of my head I would say 4 years. :)
Debbie: What a great story! I'm glad I went back over some of these comments and saw it. Please feel free to email me anytime you would like to chat more. My address is in my profile. I can't access yours or find a blog. I hate scented stuff and would probably have dumped the candles into the nearest trash can. How funny that the wren did all that work! LOL! I would love to have seen this. I keep wondering if my wren is still in the nest on the shelf, but have been afraid to disturb here again, if she is.
Post a Comment