Thursday, July 2, 2009

Why I let the sunflower seeds grow below the feeders.....


Discovery!
"Oh boy....fresh seeds!"
Perfect balance at all times
Leaning in
.....wayyyyyy in!
Hanging low and reaching under
I didn't have as many volunteer sunflower seeds grow this year. Now I wish I had planted some more! These beautiful Goldfinches make me smile watching them work for the seeds.

18 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Nothing like being able to pick it fresh then eat it Mary!! :) Lovely pics.

Dorothy said...

Super pictures! I love this little bird!!! They are such fun to watch as they feed upside down.

Mary said...

Joan: Goldfinches are great for finding lots of flowers that they like to pick apart. Being so small, they are very agile.

Dorothy: They are such fun to watch and their color is so cheery. I'm amazed at their leg and abdomen muscles when you think about them leaning the way they do. Of course, being light as a few feathers helps :-)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Great shots of the goldfinch in action.

Lindy said...

I think goldfinches are so pretty. If you have room for a perennial, try liatris (blazing star). Our goldfinches pick 'em clean every year. And, each year more flower spikes come up. :)

Shelley said...

Those goldfinches must love you Mary! So cute to see him eating this way!

Mary said...

Tom: Thanks!

Lindy: Thanks for the tip. I know what flower you mean and like how they look. Will try to remember to get some. I love perennials.

Shelley: They are a fun bird and I'm a lazy gardener anyway :-)

Becky said...

Those Goldfinches are just so cute, and put on quite a show. I do have some sunflowers growing, but not many either.
B.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, I have volunteer sunflowers coming up in several places around the yard. The Chipmunks apparently bury them---and then they sprout. It will be interesting next year to see how many grow and bloom.

I'm sure the finches would prefer the real thing to our Nyjer and/or Thistle feeders.

Have a wonderful 4th.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I'd say that is reason enough to let the sunflowers grow.This would be very entertaing.
Blessings,Ruth

George said...

You got great pictures of a hard-working goldfinch. We really enjoy watching these little guys as well.

Anonymous said...

Oh that was quite a show I believe! Thanks for sharing it with us. I love watching how birds eat too. The goldfinch is lovely and the way it balances when reaching the seeds is amazing.

abb said...

Gold Finches are just beauties!

Jill of All Trades said...

I love gold finches and I so love the pictures.

Rose said...

Mary, these are awesome captures!

Kelly said...

Beautiful photos....love seeing the goldfinch eating naturally. I let my seeds grow too. They look a little scraggly sometimes, but the goldfinch love those seed heads!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great shots!! What a pretty little yellow bird.

betty-NZ said...

Wow! I was raised in Whiting, at the other end of the state and never saw the likes of this wondrous nature! Your photos are just lovely!