
Are dead trees green? Yes and no. In the traditional colorful sense, they are not green. But in the environmental sense, they are very "green". Dead trees provide habitat for birds that like to nest in tree cavities. They also provide bugs for food and perching space. Most of us don't want a dead tree in our yards. Last week,
Kelly at "Red and the Peanut" posted her half dead willow tree. I told her about my dead dogwood and she suggested we start a "Dead Tree Society". LOL! What we both have in common is that we don't want to get rid of our dead trees.

My dead Dogwood grows right by the front door and is where I hang all my bird feeders and take photos. I was devastated when I realized last year that the tree had died! I didn't want to cut it down and start from scratch waiting for a new tree to grow. So.....I planted a vine next to the tree and turned my dead dogwood into a "Vine Tree"!

Don't ask me the name, because I have forgotten what it is, but it drapes itself all over the tree and has these lovely white flowers. The bees love them. The Goldfinches will eat petals from them later. (NOTE: I think I found a name for it...Silver Lace Vine)

Another "volunteer" vine....a believe it is a honeyvine....also grows on part of the tree. These vines give the birds the feeling of safety that they want while they come to the feeders.

I have placed a couple of shepherd crooks to hold feeders in the area, also.

The vine sometimes makes it hard to get a good photo now! I had to trim away a few dead bits and redrape some of it.

But you can see that the birds will perch on the dead branches quite happily while looking for food.

At the base of the tree, I have placed a small Dogwood volunteer that I found elsewhere and as it gets larger, I will eventually cut away parts of the old tree and finally all of it. But in the mean time the birds and I can enjoy my "dead Dogwood" in its disguise as the "Vine Tree"!
Think Green! Save a tree....even a dead one!
Thanks to Rambling Woods for hosting the
Think Green Thursday blog. For more "green" blogs click on the icon at the top of this post.
I have a few other photos that I want to get posted, and they are "green" also.

This is at the wetland's meadow. Mike captured this little butterfly enjoying the flowers.

A little frog in the duckweed.

A turtle peeking up out of the same duckweed. Everything about the Howell wetlands is green in every sense of the word :-)

Well.....except the ducks.

Getting organized before diving through the railings to get away from us.
17 comments:
A good question your posed there Mary and a lovely write-up too.
Excellant pictures of green Mary, and I really like what you've done with your dead Dogwood. In reality It does live on...Unlike out West where things are so dry we here in the East can appreciate everything out there is so green this summer.
B.
Great job bringing your tree back to life Mary! A perfect idea!
Joan: I hate cutting down dead trees. They birds like the woodpeckers really enjoy them. I saved this tree for selfish reasons...it brings the birds for me....but I also saved it for the birds.
Becky: I know I will have to get rid of it sooner or later, but in the meantime it looks attractive enough to not stand out like a sore thumb and is still useful. I appreciate living where there is plenty of water year round, also.
Eve: It is a temporary solution, but both the birds and I are happy with it for the time being :-) You must be up and running again on your new computer.
Wonderful pictures. Nature has a wonderful way of replenishing herself if we just give her time.
Mary: Nice captures, loved the green butterfly. Your duck family was neat.
Hi Mary, waving hello at you. Hoping this weekend to find time to check back in your older posts.
Neat Mary.. What a good way to 'use' a dead tree. Vines love dead trees (and live ones). ha... I am constantly pulling Virginia Creeper off of our trees.. That's the healthiest vine I have ever seen. Hate it!
Sorry your dogwood died--but hopefully the new one will prosper. In the meantime, enjoy your 'Vine Tree'..
Smart Lady you are!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
HI Mary...I love your totally dead tree. It's gorgeous now as a lattice tree, and I know the birds must love it! I so glad you posted your dead tree...and thanks for linking over to me. When I posted my half-dead willow tree, I received lots of email from people who love their dead trees. Maybe we should start a Dead Tree Society!! We could post a dead tree (found anywhere) on the last day of the month!
I really like the idea of planting a vine at a dead tree.You are a creative woman.Thanks.
Blessings,Ruth
Love the frog all covered in green, and the Chickadee balancing the seed.
Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra
I enjoyed this series...great idea for the dead tree!
Thank you everyone...running behind today on comments. I know the dead tree will have to go eventually, but hope it will last until that little dogwood gets bigger that is growing beside it. I don't want to be without a tree in the meantime. The downys and hairy woodpeckers may peck it to pieces looking for bugs before it ever falls down :-)
I love the idea of the vine around the dead tree!
Your comment about the woodpeckers made me smile.
I love the pics in your sidebar of the dragonflies. I've gotten two this summer and some damselflies (mostly blurred)I haven't taught them how to sit still. :)
Your 'dead' dogwood tree is definitely green. I like the way you've planted a volunteer to eventually take its place.
Hmmm....interesting take. I know dead trees in the woods are good good things, but never considered they were good around a home. I won't be so quick to cut!
This is a great post Mary and all of your posts are very Nature and Think Green oriented. I love the information your provided about the value of even dead trees as I don't think most people realize that...
Post a Comment