Sunday, July 26, 2009

Squirrel Sunday.....well, maybe not

This is a squirrel......
but today I am featuring my favorite squirrel watchers and "guard cats"
I looked out the door one day this week, and there was Hopey perched on the bird bath drinking the dirty water. Looks rather satisfied with herself! I'm surprised she didn't tip it over. This is not a flattering shot....she is really very lightweight and mostly fur.

"Oops!.....isn't this my new water dish?"
Hopey is my favorite cat....don't tell the other two. She was so tiny when my daughter found her and brought her home, and I still think of her as the "baby" even now that she is 14!
She is the softest cat I have ever petted. My daughter chose the name......some character in a comic book. I call her "hopeless" sometimes....she is such a scardy cat and jumps at her own shadow. But she will keep those "pesky squirrels" away.......if I let her.
Watching the sun go down.

Her sister, Ozma....the queen.....is also an avid birdwatcher. Well, if you count watching with your eyes closed in the general vincinity of some birds.
Maybe they will let the squirrels come back next Sunday!

18 comments:

Arija said...

I thought Hopey was doing a squirred impersonation. My daughter has a similar tiny cat with a body about the size of a squirrel and fluffy, silky 2" long fur. An adopted child, Martha is incredibly shy and is th only one allowed to share her bed.

DeniseinVA said...

Hopey and Ozma are gorgeous! They also look very content.

Kathy W said...

LOL we tell everyone that our female cat is just big furred.
Our neighbors cat drinks from our bird bath all the time. We have a water bowl for it on the porch but he still perfers the bird bath water.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It is not fair to tease like that and let me think I am going to see Star. :) Well okay, I will forgive you as there is at least one squirrel pic. :)

These cats can really take over a house and make it all about them can't they Mary. :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous creatures!
My mother has a cat too and I was sure it looks HUGE only because of its fur... until I tried to take it.. ugh

Dorothy said...

Great shots of your squirrels and cats! I know you enjoy those pretty cats.

Kelly said...

Hopey and Ozma are so beautiful. I love kitties...Hopey looks so gentle. I would never have guessed her at 14!! She looks like my husband's cat from 25 years ago, Wombat. I'll have to show Bip your kitties and see what he thinks. :-)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

CUTE!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful cats, Mary, especially Hopie. WELL--I shouldn't say that since Ozma is gorgeous also. Forgive me, Ozma!!!!

I guess I need some cats around here to scare away the squirrels. Wonder if the Bluebirds would swoop down on the cats like they do the chipmunks and squirrels?????? Bet they would!!! My babies fledged today... Pictures in the morning.

Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

I think they are both beautiful!

Mary said...

Thank you all you cat lovers :-) I think some of you thought I was kidding about Hopey's size. She weighs less than 8lbs...I can feel every vertebrae on her back when I pet her. She really is a lot of fur with a little cat tucked away inside :-) My other two both weight in at 12lbs or more.

Shelley said...

Hopey is beautiful! She doesn't look 14!!

Richard Lawry said...

Our cat, Moses, was quite the squirrel killer when he was younger. He is to fat and old for that these days, but the squirrels still are very wary of him.

http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/

Mary said...

Shelley: She hides her age well...so does Ozma. I forget they are that old most of the time.

Riches: My cats would love to catch a squirrel, but have learned that they aren't likely to :-) However, this morning, Hopey chased Mrs. Mallard away!

Becky said...

Cats are always such good subjects aren't they. They will forever put on a good show.I have 2 cats one is 16, Maggie, and the other one is 3, Azrael. They are the best of friends, although Maggie doesn't hunt any more. Mostly she watches the inside of her eye lids.
B.

Mary said...

Becky: LOL! I like that description. My 2 "old" kitties don't like my younger cat at all, and it is a constant battlefield or intolerance around here...sigh. Mouse was a mistake, but there is nothing I can do about it now that I have her.

George said...

Hopey and Ozma are beautiful looking cats. I'm just glad that they haven't chased Star away. What would we do without Star?

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Quite funny, is that a squirrel eating cat?