Sunday, July 12, 2009

Squirrel Sunday....Olney's white squirrels

I had to scan and include this brochure photo because the pictures were so cute. More inside, but I'll stop with this one.The Olney squirrels have been around since 1902! They are very well cared for and encouraged. They are true albinos and this small town gets a lot of visitors thanks to these little white furry ambassadors!
When a squirrel runs towards you rather than away, I think that means they are used to being fed :-) We were pleased that at our first stop....a city park....this little guy and several grey cousins came bounding over to see if we had food.

Isn't that cute? I would swear that he is smiling as he eats his grape. I remembered from last year seeing a guy feed them grapes so we had those and peanuts with us.

The peanuts were appreciated, too.
Look at those feet! Such a funny little guy....sort of a white rat with a fluffy tail.

I like the way the sun lights up his tail :-)

Mike put a peanut on the tree trunk and he came down and hung there eating it. Now, I have to say that Star can do this too......he just doesn't get a lot of publicity for it. He may fire me as his agent.
Smiling at me again.
He was up and down the tree several times for us.
Abrupt turn.
Looking for more hand-outs.
Just like Star, he can let you know he is tired of posing :-)
Throughout their parks they have a lot of these tire squirrel homes hanging in the trees. I am determined to buy one of these to put in one of our oak trees. You can find them on-line. Great way to recycle old tires!
I took a few photos of the grey ones, too and will save them for next week. Maybe it is time for another Squirrel Sunday caption contest?

19 comments:

Michele said...

Wow... I have never seen these white little guys ever. How unique and how cute! Your post was awesome and made me giggle and he truly did look like he was smiling! =)

Mike said...

How unusual but nice all the same, great post Mary, see something new everyday on here :)

Mary said...

Michele: Aren't they neat? Although they do look a lot like a white mouse when you really look at them closely. They romp around with the grey squirrels and were fairly tame.

Mike: I think it is unusual that the town has so many. They have bred well there.

Dorothy said...

Great post! It was a treat to see these white squirrels! Cute!

WR said...

I am amazed! I've seem grey, black, red and brown but NEVER have I seen a white squirrel. Lovely post. I also love your bird photo. I so miss the variety of birds that visited my yard in New England - your blog has filled an empty spot! :)

Cicero Sings said...

Those look like very happy squirrels in deed ... no wonder with all the hand outs ... life is easy in Olney!

Becky said...

They are beautiful Mary! You got so many to pose for you. What a great time you must have had. Gary and I still need to get to Westfield, NY to photo the black ones, but I don''t think they are as tame as these whites.
Lets hope Star doesn't know you deserted him...
B.

sandy said...

Wow, he looks so different but he is cute!

Anonymous said...

They sure look unusual and cute at the same time!

Mary said...

The photos are all the same squirrel. We saw one other one up in a tree, but it wasn't as willing to pose. Somehow we always pick the week they are having a fair in the city park and that probably sends some of them into hiding.

WR said...

Hi Mary:

To answer your question, I'm headed to a Puget Sound island and am anxious to get there! So - near Seattle but not quiet there. Am anxious to be back in green space with trees and birds and even more important fresh air! I've learned much in the Central Valley but also look forward to leaving... :)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Very cool, definetly are albinos.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, We're home after a wonderful weekend in the gorgeous North Carolina mountains. I'll post in the morning.

You know that I don't like squirrels--but those white ones are really pretty. IF we had them, I may not be so mean to them!!!! ha

Hope you had a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

I wasn't going to say it, but you said it for me--a white rat with a fluffy tail. I do think he is smiling at you....they probably never have to worry about survival. Hard to believe they have been around that long...do they breed with the regular squirrels, or are they a totally different breed?

George said...

I hope Star doesn't get jealous of these adorable white squirrels. You got some great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Lindy said...

What a cute little ham! As some of the others have said, I've never seen white squirrels before, either. All great captures Mary.
:)

Mary said...

WR: The northwest is very nice and I'm sure you will love it. We like to visit there and I have a sister and daughter living there.

Tom: They are fascinating, but I think your black squirrels look prettier.

Betsy: Thanks...glad to have you back.

Rose: Apparently they breed with the grey squirrels. YOu see them running around togteher.

George:What Star doesn't know won't hurt him :-)

Lindy: They are cute and well taken care of since the town gets its "fame" from them. It is against the law to take one out of the city or even the state! Maybe if I drop a trail of peanuts for it to follow??

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Now how did I miss this one Mary?? Must be a time thing. I love the photograph of the sun shining through its tail but to be honest, I do not like these at all for some reason. Dont ask why as I could not tell you. SO sorry. Your pics are great though. :)

Mary said...

Joan: I understand completely. I prefer the natural colored squirrels, too. These made me think a lot about a white mouse we used to have....just bigger. When you actually see these squirrels they become just as "cute" as any other little critter once you get over the white color.