Anyone know anything about spiders???? This one is spinning webs under our outside light every night in front of the sliding glass doors. I tried to look it up by googling, but no luck so far. Don't have a very good belly shot.
Who would have thought it would be so difficult to identify a spider? I tried searching, too, without luck. Looks like a fleur-de-lis pattern on its back.
I'm not a big fan of spiders, so I'd probably be inclined to knock down its web with a broom and sweep him away somewhere else. Then I'd remove the light bulb so he wouldn't be attracted to come back...or else put up a yellow bug light like this http://tinyurl.com/kpdtqk Good luck - hope you find your answer.
Thanks everyone! I don't like spiders either, but as long as it is outside, not in, I let them alone. I do love to watch them make a web and when it is on the door that is an easy place to watch. I'll have to post this guy on BugGuide and see if I get an answer.
I just noticed that the mark on the back looks like a cross! Maybe it is a "Christian spider" :-) My best guess so far is an Orb Weaving Spider...but not sure how exact a title that is.
If I had time I would look it up...maybe tonight if I can remember I will look in my book. Lorelei has really kept me busy yesterday, and not sure how today is going to be. I was so worn out last night...
Hi Mary I'm so far behind on posting but loving what I've missed. I was going to say some type of Orb Weaver and am glad you got answers from Bugguide. Great job!
I think Garden Orb Weaver as well. Hard to tell definitely, but here's some good photos http://tiny.cc/3Ob59
It's hard to like spiders, but they're so beneficial to nature. If I possibly can, I "capture" spiders in the house and let them go outdoors. This is not always possible. Just sayin'.
I've been lifted up on Your wings of love, Raised from the grave of sin and despair, I can soar to the top of Your holy mountain Your wings of grace will carry me there. I will humble myself in Your sight, And bow low to the King of Kings! And wait in joy and hope and peace..... As I'm lifted on grace filled wings. (by Mary Freeman)
Christian, wife, mother, quilter, reader, writer, photographer. My blog title originated when all my blogs were one. Faith, Fabric and Photos is my main blog.
18 comments:
All I can say is he is huge AND ugly! :)
Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Well Mary, nope, I'm just beginning to get interested in spiders, but what a cool one you have found.
Tom
UGH! Have no ideal what kind it is but agree with Leedra that is one ugly spider.
I'm sorry I can't help you identify the spider, but please don't send it down here for a closer identification!
Great photo Mary - but be careful! Don't let that spider bite you! (Yes - I'm deathly afraid of spiders! LOL!)
Who would have thought it would be so difficult to identify a spider? I tried searching, too, without luck. Looks like a fleur-de-lis pattern on its back.
I'm not a big fan of spiders, so I'd probably be inclined to knock down its web with a broom and sweep him away somewhere else. Then I'd remove the light bulb so he wouldn't be attracted to come back...or else put up a yellow bug light like this http://tinyurl.com/kpdtqk
Good luck - hope you find your answer.
Yipes, Mary... Just seeing those things makes me chill. That is one ugly spider... Yow!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
What ever it is, it's kind of cute. I looked in my Spider book, but no luck. There are just too many.
B.
Can't find my bug book! If you find out, let me know!
Thanks everyone! I don't like spiders either, but as long as it is outside, not in, I let them alone. I do love to watch them make a web and when it is on the door that is an easy place to watch. I'll have to post this guy on BugGuide and see if I get an answer.
I just noticed that the mark on the back looks like a cross! Maybe it is a "Christian spider" :-) My best guess so far is an Orb Weaving Spider...but not sure how exact a title that is.
If I had time I would look it up...maybe tonight if I can remember I will look in my book. Lorelei has really kept me busy yesterday, and not sure how today is going to be. I was so worn out last night...
BugGuide says it is Neoscona Crucifera female....and orb weaver. I told you the marking looked like a cross!....crucifera.
Sorry Mary, but it was so hectic with me again, I did not get to this one before - usual end of the month again.
This is such a pretty spider. I never mind hem around the house.
Hi Mary
I'm so far behind on posting but loving what I've missed. I was going to say some type of Orb Weaver and am glad you got answers from Bugguide. Great job!
Mary: Just watch it doesn't weave you in that big web. A female means you could have a 1,00 little spiders around.
Joan: I know you wouldn't miss bugs intentionally! LOL!
Eve: I had no idea what it was, so BugGuide was very helpful.
Tom: Oh....now I hope it is not a female! I didn't see a web last night, so maybe it went away. It was sure catching plenty!
I think Garden Orb Weaver as well. Hard to tell definitely, but here's some good photos http://tiny.cc/3Ob59
It's hard to like spiders, but they're so beneficial to nature. If I possibly can, I "capture" spiders in the house and let them go outdoors. This is not always possible. Just sayin'.
Post a Comment