Thursday, July 16, 2009

Snout addendum....

The way things always happen....... After stalking this little critter on that dark shady road on two different days, I went to the wetlands today and ......tada! Right in broad daylight and easy to see!!
Now we can actually see better what it looks like!
Lots of other good stuff, too....should give me posts for several days.

18 comments:

Jenny said...

WOW! Great shots Mary. That is really such a weird looking nose! I know you wont know what I mean, but it reminds me of a childrens TV programme over here from the late 60's called The Clangers!

Eve said...

He looks like Sunffleupagus Mary!!! I hope I get to see one here!

Jenny said...

Have just googled The Clangers and on some of the links it shows what they looked like if anyone is interested! Definitely Clanger like this butterfly! (-:

Anonymous said...

That is one big snout he has got Mary. (great images.)

Jenn Jilks said...

This just confirms what I do in My Muskoka. It is a meditation, they say, to take your camera and be at one with nature. You honour it with your photos.

Such a kindred spirit!

I am finding bugs MOST difficult to capture (digitally speaking). What a gift from nature when they appear to honour your quest!

Mary said...

Jenny: Yep....a Clanger for sure now that I looked it up! LOL!

Eve: You are right, too....looks like a Snuffleupagus! That one I know without looking it up :-) I hope you see one, too. I had never seen any and now have found them in two different places. Must be a good year for them.

Roy: It really is odd and I don't see the purpose of it. It looks like his proboscis comes out further back. Smell? I thought they "smell" with their feet?

Jenn: I try to "be at one with nature".....now if I could just "be at one with my camera"!

Dorothy said...

That is the first butterfly I've seen with a snout!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

These are great pictures.This is an unusaul butterfly.Wish I had the chance to see one.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Try and try again---and it worked for you... You got it!!!!! What a snout.... Amazing butterfly.

Thanks for your persistence.
Hugs,
Betsy

Becky said...

These are wonderful shots Mary. I'd really like to see one of these butterflies. So different.
B.

Leedra said...

Yes, this does give us a better look. Glad you were able to get a 2nd chance at the photos.

Kelly said...

...isn't that always the way! This guy is just amazing. With that snout he looks like a tiny animal. Very cool...

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Murphy's Law at work Mary. :) Really fantastic pics.

Slogan Murugan said...

Beautiful! Wish you a great day ahead

Kerri Farley said...

That snout just blows me away! FABULOUS shots!!!!

Vickie said...

Nice image. Love that snout! And I love your dragonfly sidebar.

Appalachian Lady said...

We have some butterflies with that same coloring but I never noticed the snout. That's a great photo.

I bet the snout is to drink nectar from certain flowers--like the hummingbird. The flower he's on looks like he could get at it better with his snout.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! I think this will be my most memorable butterfly for this year. Such an oddity.