Friday, July 24, 2009

SkyWatch Friday....everyone is looking up

It's SkyWatch Friday! Everywhere we went yesterday, someone was watching the sky. Blue bird looking at the great blue.
You can see the sky well from up here!

At Hartman Arboretum, this bee was watching me, rather then the sky :-) I think he looks like he should be in a Disney movie.
The sky is a great backdrop for flowers and their critters.

This little frog was watching the sky from a nice place in the leaves.
Isn't he cute?? Of course it was my husband that spotted it.....he always sees the little creatures.
The Tiger Swallowtail came by to greet us for a few minutes.

I love how the body is dressed in yellow and black, too. Lovely butterfly!

A monarch flitted through and I only got one shot of the wings open.

It seems to prefer this position.

I love this type of hydrangea and they attracted a lot of bees and little bugs.

The owners of the property had some great blackberries growing, but there was no sign indicating that we could pick them.....darn! My mouth was watering!

Before going to the Arboretum, we drove over to Henderson for an early morning check on the eagles and heron rookery. Surprise.....
.....one of the young eagles was off the nest and sitting in a tree nearby! These are cropped a lot because it is such a distance, but we were thrilled to see it out of the nest. Another one was on the nest, but we couldn't tell if it was a parent keeping a close eye or the sibling.

The young eagle was watching the sky, too :-).....when he wasn't watching us.
Many of the heron were down below the nests in the marsh area. Considering how big they are, I'm sure it is more comfortable then crowding in the nests.
This is my SkyWatch Friday post for this week! Keep looking at the skies! There is a lot to see when you look up!
Thanks to the SkyWatch team for their hard work keeping this going! For more skies, click on the icon on my sidebar.

23 comments:

Guy D said...

Brilliant photos, these are all fantastic.

Have a great weekend
Guy
Regina In Pictures

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You have done it again Mary .... there are so many beautiful shots here I dont know what to comment one but let me say that first bee shot is STUNNING!!

The little frog is really cute and I simply love the butterflies too.

Arija said...

A wonderful post, definitely nature's half acre. I love the profiled bee with the sting showing, but all your nature shots are brilliant.

Becky said...

What a marvelous shot of that bee! Your new macro lens is getting a great work-out.
All amazing pictures Mary.
Guess what? Thundering and raining here this morning AGAIN!
B.

Dorothy said...

Great photography of interesting subjects. Love it!

Carol said...

You got some beautiful shots and great close-ups...I love the butterfly shots...and the bee is amazing...good catch on the young eagle

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat post and I loved the photo of the be straight on, that was a beauty.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I enjoyed all these pictures.You did exceptional work with that Swallowtail close-up.Very pretty.
Blessings,Ruth

ItaJeff said...

Absolutely wonderful pictures.
Happy skywatching!

♥Ita
p.s. Pls stop by at Something To Share anytime, I just love company.

Pollyanna said...

These are great! The detail is outstanding - you must have a fantastic lens.

I would love to step up my photography with an DSLR, but I just need to wait a wee bit longer to get the camera I want.

Please visit me: Picture This . . .

Gaelyn said...

Beautiful post and captures. You saw so much wonderful life in the green of nature, looking up to the sky.

Anonymous said...

I really think you sort of hit the jackpot on this post. You have some of the best things I have seen today and I have seen a lot. LOL

Now, you and your friends can help me Make History. I am trying to see if it is possible to get 10,000 visitors in a short period of time on my new blog, Pick a Peck of Pixels. If you go there, please either become a Follower or leave a comment. You can come back each day to see and read something new. Your visit will count and help me Make History.
Pick a Peck of Pixels

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, fab SWF post. I love the bee too and also the angle you've got on the bees on that flower and the butterflies shots are great. You're certainly getting in the macro stuff now! (-: I love Freddy the frog too. He looked like he was comfy sitting there in his leaf sofa! (-:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Great Skywatch Friday photos... Love seeing the little birds WAY up there---looking toward the sky.

Your visit to the Arboretum and to Henderson must have been so much fun. You got some great pictures. Love seeing the little Eagle sitting there on the branch. I'm sure he may have been looking at the SKY--but he had at least one eye on YOU... ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Eve said...

Mary you do such a great job! It is just so enjoyable to come visit your blog! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The sky is a great background for many creatures - and you've done well capturing them in your post. The little frog is adorable, on his green leafy perch.

Rose said...

I just love that last photo...something about it really appeals to me, but the others are great, too.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Beautifully captured butterflies and the little bird, so cute.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone! These are two of my favorite places to take photos. Always a lot to see.

Jenny: The reason for the angle on that one shot with the bees is because the flowers are TALLER than I am! I have to look up at the sky with this plant.

Kelly said...

That first bee shot looks like it's about to come in for a landing on your camera! Yikes! Love the herons and all the beautiful butterflies... I can't believe you have such a good view of the eagles. Seeing the juvey sitting out on the limb must have been so exciting.

Mary said...

Kelly: It took us a while to spot him sitting there.

abb said...

Such beauty. Love the bee. I've never been able to photograph a tiger swallowtail - they're such magnificent butterflies.

Mary said...

Annie: This Tiger Swallowtail was the most cooperative that I've seen. Usually they get away before I get focused or they are all torn up.