It's SkyWatch Friday, so here is one sky shot from our morning at Hartman Arboretum.
For more Sky shots from around the world, click on the icon on my sidebar. Thanks to the team for their hard work keeping this site going.
Blue skies above the flowers.
The rest of my shots are looking down...at the flowers and butterflies and bugs :-)
I believe this is an American Painted Lady. It was so willing to hang around and pose that I took way too many photos and then had to choose which ones to post. (NOTE: I'm learning again! Eve says it is an American Lady...no paint. After googling this, I see the difference. Thanks, Eve!)
A side view for balance.
This one just makes me smile with its crossed legs and silly face.
A Tiger Swallowtail stopped very briefly. Long enough for 3 shots....top....
...bottom....
....and the edge! I just liked this one, even though it shows little butterfly :-)
"I don't think this flower is big enough for both of us!"
Mike saw this strange bug and didn't even tell me!
He took this one also. Don't know what either one is.
I saw this green fly (?) and whatever that is next to it on the right!
We walked down to the lake and the Red Wing Blackbirds were flying back and forth and screeching at me. Obviously too near their nest!
This one looks rather young.....
....but this little guy is a real baby! I almost stepped on it. I saw something move near my foot as it dove into the deep grass. I didn't think the shot would even show it. I didn't want to scare it any worse trying for more.
This flower's name is Ruby Spice, but I can't tell you what the Latin family is. Something that started with a "C". (NOTE: Clethra Ainifolia)
For those who asked last time, I found out this is a Bald Cypress. These green "balls" become the "cones" and turn brown. I think they are beautiful the way they are!
On the way to the wetlands we stopped at a Burger King for their "senior cokes".....hey, for only 38 cents I'll admit to being senior!
While waiting to pay, Mike looked out his window and saw this cute little Mockingbird! Look at that short tail! It is a little out of focus.
Of course, I had to get out of the car and chase it down for another photo as it headed along the side of the building :-) I just love that tail...or lack of it.
We walked down to the lake and the Red Wing Blackbirds were flying back and forth and screeching at me. Obviously too near their nest!
On the way to the wetlands we stopped at a Burger King for their "senior cokes".....hey, for only 38 cents I'll admit to being senior!
This was a fruitful morning at both the arboretum and the wetlands, so I have posts for a couple more days at least.
26 comments:
What a fantastic collection Mary!! I do love that Tiger Swallowtail. Most unisual bugs too. I am always so happy to see some found there.
More fantastic butterfly shots Mary, you are just too good now.
You find the neatest things to photograph!! All are good. Love those Bald Cypress balls. Interesting!
I love that little tailed Mockingbird too Mary! Your "American Painted Lady" looks to me like an American Lady! If butterflying isn't hard enough there are two different kinds of "Ladies"!! The American and the Painted! The American has two large spots on the underside of the hindwing, while the Painted has four small spots. I feel bad for the male Ladies...don't you!!! Your doing great Mary! Keep it up!!
Mary: Wonderful captures of the sky, insects and birds.
Joan: Thanks...I would like to ID that weird bug. Will do some checking.
Roy: Well, I'm certainly getting lots of practice this year with butterflies!
Dorothy: I would like to pick one of those Cypress balls...wonder if they stay nice when picked.
Eve: Thanks again! I will have to start emailing my photos for you for identification before posting them! I agree that the males must resent the "Lady" identification! LOL! The little mockingbird was so cute :-)
Tom: Thanks!
OK, that's it, I'm heading for Evansville ! LOL. I'd love to walk with you! Things here appear boring right now. Butterflies not here, no new birds at the moment. Not many new flowers either, AND rain today. The Raccoons knocked over my cucumber tripod last night. I hope the plant will survive.
B.
Lovely close-ups of delicate flowers, butterflies, other bugs and birds! Good eye!
Becky: I wish you really meant it! Have I mentioned that the Howell train yards are very close to the Howell wetlands? And we have a small train museum? What more can I use to lure you this way :-)
Pat: thanks for stopping by!
Nice Piccies Mary XXX Don
These are great shots!
The butterfly is beautiful. And I love the "peak-a-boo" shot of the bird in the grass.
Really nice collection, Mary, and what interesting-looking bugs! I also like the green balls on the Bald Cypress. They look like fancy bars of soap or decorative candles.
Some great close ups Mary. I love the face on photos of the butterflies best. That is a lovely bug that Mike found. Wonder what it is? I hope that young bird survivies OK!
Beautiful close-ups Mary. It's hard to choose a favourite, but I do love that bald cypress, the red wing blackbird and the top three butterflies. thanks for your lovely comment on my SWF shot.
Janice.
Lovely sky followed by magnificent butterflies, flowers and adorable little bird. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photographs.
Hugs and blessings,
I am enjoying all the butterflies.This makes me want to get out and find some over here.
Blessings,Ruth
Pretty blue sky - nice butterflies too.
You are both correct....it used to be called the American Painted Lady, they changed the name to American Lady. The Painted Lady is a different butterfly. For me it is easiest to tell the difference in the 2 with the wings together. But it is the American Painted Lady or now the American Lady. Hap from New Hope is the one that told me about the name change. He is the one I consider the expert. Great captures.
Leedra’s Photos For Fun
I wonder what happened to the Mockingbird's tail? I've never seen anything quite like that. I enjoyed all your pictures, and we agree with you when it comes to admitting to being a senior for a price break.
Wow Mary, such a beautiful series of photographs again, wonderful SWF post, beautiful butterflies and other critters, birds, flowers. Always a joy to come here and see what you have to share. Have a great weekend.
So many babies this time of year - and wonderfully so.
Is it just me, or does "painted lady" sound like a butterfly of ill repute?
Love the sixth photo down of the butterfly among flowers ... it's extraordinarily artistic! :-)
Thank you everyone! I'm really enjoying the butterflies and other winged critters right now.
Lovely summery Skywatch shot! Some of those insects are rather alarming, but the butterflies are gorgeous.
Ruby spice is pretty! And the short tailed mockingbird is strange looking...
Fantastic collection of photos! Your butterfly shots are beautiful!
Post a Comment