
Oaklyn Library is one of the newest branch libraries in Evansville.

While it looks very normal as you drive up to the front......

......the building is actually located underground! That part of the building you see in this photo is the large skylight that looks down into the library. The entire roof of the library is a huge meadow with lots of lovely flowers.

Another shot of the skylight while standing in the meadow.

A trail has been mowed in the meadow so you can walk around and look at the flowers and all the "critters" that they attract. Here are some of my photos.

A bee visiting.....he almost looks entangled here :-)

Sulphur butterfly on the Butterfly Weed.

I don't know what this plant is, but the bees liked it....you can see one flying in to the right of the flower.

Another very popular flower with the bees.

Lovely yellows

I like these.

Another view of the mix of flowers.
It is a very nice library inside also, but walking around the meadow was great!
I have more "critters" from there for tomorrow.....several damselflies that I don't know.
For more My World posts, click on the icon on my sidebar.
Thanks to the My World team for their hard work.
21 comments:
A beautiful post! That is my kind of library, that still retains natural public space. When my daughter was studying architecture 30 years ago, she designed a library with a meadow growing over it, the design was so innovative that it was way before its time and was panned by the powers that be...how times change.
Beautiful shote in the meadow as well as the skylight.
Underground? Well, if not, why not? LOL!! I love the critters Mary. Okay, the flowers they are on too. :)
That is really cool Mary! I love the meadow too, who ever planned that knew what they were doing, great butterfly flowers for sure!
Arija: How neat to know your daughter has designed stuff like this. We need more of this sort of thing. We "plant" too many parking lots and not enough meadows.
Joan: It is really a very nice library and when you are inside you don't even realize that it is underground.
Eve: They did a great job. This was the first time I had walked around the meadow and it was teeming with little critters.
Incredible library very much a part of the landscape, wonderful photos!
That would be my dream library! It's incredible. Excellent shots!
Looks like a beautiful place!!
WHAT a brilliant wild flower 'meadow', Mary! Thank you for re-visiting me at Coastcard. We have a new wild flower centre nearby - I'm just going to see if it has a website...
what a fab architectural design...and the roof is amazing. beautiful captures of the meadow flowers.
would love to see some photos of the inside.
have a great week.
What an incredible library! Absolutely perfect! And your photos are marvelous, Mary! Love all the natural beauty and lovely flowers! Definitely my kind of place! Thanks for sharing!
Wow---an underground library. How innovative, Mary. And that meadow with all of the wildflowers is gorgeous.
Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy
What a great concept! I wanted to be there with you wandering amongst those wild flowers and hunting down the various bugs.
Wow, that is one amazing library complex. A great idea! And that meadow is so colorful and inviting. I could see myself sitting amongst the flowers reading. Great captures and post.
This is amazing,to have a complete library underground.The field above is so pretty with all it's flowers.
Blessings,Ruth
I love this place! What a terrific idea. Saves space to have a park/trail in the same spot. Plus the heating/cooling bills much be greatly reduced. Love it!
That must be an impressive building, especially when looking up at the skylight. Love all your photos!
Enjoyed the stroll around your library. Like the wildflowers.
Looks like my kind of place Mary. Beautiful flowers.
B.
What an interesting library building. Someone had a brilliant idea. It would be nice if more buildings incorporated this design. I enjoyed the walk through the meadow.
Thank you everyone! I always feel a bit overwhelmed when I do a meme and get so many comments! It really is a neat library and I wish the world would do more underground stuff and leave more green space for the critters and the beauty of it.
What a library! You go and you get the best of both worlds.
Post a Comment