Friday, July 10, 2009

Mouteau Park dragonflies.....

Mouteau Park always has some interesting dragonflies around its lake.This is a Slaty Skimmer, but I only included it for the long shadow that the tail is casting making it look very long at first glance!
Trying a macro of the Widow Skimmer.

This is one that I only seem to see at this park. It is a Halloween Pennant and there were a bunch of them.
Same dragonfly......looks really orange in the sunlight.

This pair stay connected while laying eggs on the water. He seems to be more orange to her golden color.
Sometimes when I am shooting the dragonflies and the shadows all seem to get mixed up and I don't know what I have until I get home. What on earth did we do before digital cameras??

Video of the egg laying. It was hard to keep up with them.

12 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

WOW!! Love the colors in these Mary. You did well to capture them.

Rose said...

Oh, Mary--I love that shadow of the first one. All shots are wonderful...without digital I would not have taken even a third of the pictures I now take.

Mary said...

Joan: Thanks...I love dragonflies :-)

Rose: Thanks...I know what you mean. I use to take what seemed like a lot of photos with film, but now I never take less than 100 photos at any given place or time. Of course sorting them and throwing some out is a big job. I keep filling up our hard drive on the computer too much and need to do a lot of sorting.

Eve said...

So many dragonflies...so little time!! Wonderful shots Mary!

Shelley said...

Great detail on these beautiful dragonflies! You are definitely quick w/ the camera!!

Becky said...

Mary, you have gotten some awesome shots of these creatures. That macro is spectacular! I've only seen a couple here. I think we need to go to the Audubon grounds. There are lots of Dragonflies there.
B.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great shots.I am impressed with the flight shots,that's not easy.
Blessings,Ruth

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Beautiful capture of the dragonflies, wonderfully done.

Dorothy said...

Love the Macro shot! I don't see many dragonflies here. They make good subjects!

Mary said...

Thank you everyone! Dragonflies are good practice in many things...macro, flight, focusing on little things. Even when it is the same kind most of the time, I figure I need the practice :-) They are such pretty little critters and I had never paid any attention to them until last year when some of you started showing photos of them. That's the great thing about blogs...learning about new things!

Kelly said...

Nice closeups!! I haven't had any luck capture photos of dragonflies or skimmers (and I don't even know how to identify them yet!). Beautiful series!

Mary said...

Dragonflies aren't as hard as I thought they would be. They like to land in the same places and you can wait for them. There is one big one that I see all the time that NEVER lands! Really frustrates me.